Chapter Sixteen

- Lexington, Kentucky Churchill Downs, The Eclipse Awards -

The Eclipse Awards is as fancy as always, with top trainers, owners, breeders and jockeys. Emily was nominated for Horse of the Year against, Derby and Classic winner, Heartlines, Preakness, Belmont, Haskell, Travers winner, Dark Paradise, BC Mile winner The Machine and Metropolitan, Met Mile and Whitney winner Fine Line. She is also nominated for Champion 2 year old filly, against Schuylervill and Chandelier winner Fidelity, Unapologetic and Adirondack, Frizette winner War Light. We've beaten all the fillies except Fidelity. She's a big filly like Emily, but she's bay with a big star on her head. She's impressive, I hope to face her soon.

We were led to our seats and the Awards started. I looked to Jack who sat across from me with his wife, Maria, she owned some racehorses too. Such as True Affection, Paper Television and Dance Away, she loved horses like Jack. I smiled at him, Nicole came and sat down next to me, and gave me an awkward smile.

"Sorry I'm late, I got caught up with Rosie. She's nominated for Champion Jockey too. We wished each other luck. Did you know she's got the permanent mount on Fidelity?" She said.

"No. It's great she got the mount though. I really like Fidelity, she's a promising filly." I smiled, the filly lost her maiden, then came back to win her Allowence then was taken to the Schuylervill, where she won by 4 lengths, then the Chandelier by 8 in 1:40.10, beating It's In The Air's record.

"She's looking for her third Oaks win. But were going to get there first Nate." She laughed and took a sip of her drink. "Look the awards are starting." I looked up and saw a woman stand on the stage.

"Welcome to the Eclipse Awards, were here to honor everyone's achievements this year, but only one horse in each category can win the award. We'll start with the young horses. We wish everyone luck and have a great time!" Everyone applauded for her and she handed the microphone to an older man, Gary Stevens.

"The first award is for Champion 2 year old fillies. Here are your nominees." Gary turned to the screen above him and they started playing the bigger races for each of the fillies, first War Light, then Fidelity, then Unapologetic and last Emily's Breeders Cup win. I smiled at the stretch call. "Now time to announce the winner," Gary opened the envelope and looked up to the crowd. "and the winner is," there was a moments silence. "Emily The First!" Jack and I stood up and walked up to the stage, we shook Gary's hand an he gave us the Award. "Congratulations on owning such a great filly, hope she takes you guys to new heights." He said and stepped aside to let me and Jack talk.

"Well, I have been up here quite a few times in the past few years. But not recently for a filly like Emily. She's got guts and a love for what she does. She knows what she's doing, and I'm glad she's as great as she is, and I'm happy that she appeared in that sales ring at Emerald Downs in Washington. She's given us the ride of a life time so far, making her sire proud today for this award. Thank you!" Everyone applauded as I finished my speech, and I nodded to everyone and stepped aside to let Jack talk.

"Man, Champion 2 Year Old Filly, I remember when Sincerely won that quite a few years back. Feels good to have a award like that again. Emily, defiantly is a filly of a life time. Having achieved as much as she did, makes me the proudest owner right now. She's such a smart kind filly, if you met her before you'd know that she's a big Princess. So I'd like to thank Emily, Nathan, Nicole, and Michael, who sadly couldn't make it cause he wanted to be with his beloved filly tonight. Thank you to all who voted for her it means a lot to us." Everyone erupted into applause for Jack and we walked off the stage with our award.

Next was the Champion Two Year Old Colt. I knew the winner would either be October Miracle or In The Moment. But looking back to the Juvenile, the winner was In The Moment by 2. He accomplished a lot like Emily.

"Champion Two Year Old Colt is," Gary paused. "In The Moment!" everyone, including Nathan and I applauded for the owners of In a The Moment.

"Why thank you everyone. We wouldn't be here without Moment, he's something else, but so is October Miracle. These two colts have faced off so many times this year, from maiden to Breeders Cup, and In The Moment found his strength and won Breeders Cup Juvenile, you have an amazing colt Miracle Bay Stable! Hope to see him later next year, and congrats to International Racing Partners on your award for your fantastic filly, she defiantly out did everyone at Breeders Cup." I smiled and nodded to the owner of In The Moment, and him and the other people walked off the stage.

-

The awards carried on, and Sing A Lullaby won Champion 3 Year Old Filly, Dark Paradise won Champion 3 Year Old Colt, Champion Older Female was Forever Young, Champion Older Male was Lucky Tap, Champion Turf Male was Sammy's Soul, Champion Turf Female is Still Sane, Champion Sprint Female is The Northern Wind, Champion Sprint Horse was A Little Spring, and Champion Steeplechase horse is Bundle Of Tantrums. Jack and I were awarded with Top Owners and Javiar Castellano was honored with Champion Jockey. All that was left was Horse of the Year.

"Now for the greatest award of the night, Horse of the Year." Gary turned to the screen for a show of the nominees, Emily was the last to be showed. "We had a great year, and to be honored with a two year old nominated for the greatest award is spectacular, including she's a filly. But she's against some of the greatest horses for the award." Gary opened the envelope. "And the winner for Horse of the Year is," Again a moment of silence, or anticipation. "The Princess herself, Emily The First!" Jack leaped from his chair and hugged me and we both walked up to the stage to accept the award. Gary handed us the award. "Congratulations on the award. She's a great horse." I smiled at Gary and hugged him.

"Wow, our girl knocked out those other horses? Incredible, truly incredible. Now everyone can see that she's something else, wish her luck, cause we're going to the Kentucky Oaks, we're going for the Triple Tiara. Then, we're finally going to face the boys, and we'll show you what kind of horse she is!" Jack said. "Thank you everyone!" Everyone applauded loudly for Jack, they knew he was serious,

"Well, it's been a while since I've held this award, longer than Champion Two Year Old Filly. It's amazing everyone thinks she's so great that she's awarded with Horse of the Year. That's amazing. Seriously. We couldn't do it without, Nicole, and my friend here," I put my arm around Jack and laughed a bit. "Jack, and our amazing groom, and workout rider Michael, once again sad he couldn't be here. Thank you to everyone who voted. Let's hope she makes it through the toughest year of her life." I said and was applauded and Gary came back.

"That's all the awards for this year! We hope to see everyone here next year, and Emily of course. Now go enjoy yourselves! Congrats to everyone who won this evening!" Everyone stood up and applauded, and Jack and I went to the table, ad I hugged Nicole and Maria.

"Congrats you three. You've achieved a lot with Emily, let's hope she gets those boys soon." Maria said and hugged Jack. I smiled, and felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I took it out and answered.

"Hel-" I was cut off.

"Nathan it's me Michael, there's something wrong with Emily, she's sick or something and she's not acting as usual. She's coughing, wheezing, and she won't get up in her stall."

"I'll be there with Jack soon, call the vet."

"I did he's on his way." I hung up the phone and looked to Jack and Nicole.

"We need to go." Jack looked confused.

"Why?"

"There's something wrong with Emily." His eyes widened and Nicole gasped. 

Jack turned to Maria. "We have to go Mar, I'll see you soon. I love you. Can you take our awards home with you?" Maria nodded and kissed Jacks cheek, and we rushed out of the Awards.

Michaels word rang in my head.

'There's something wrong with Emily'...