Chapter Thirty-One

-1 week later-

Many had asked if Emily would go to the Travers. We never said 'yes' or 'no' to them. But Emily's Haskell performance had showed her strength, and she was headed for the Travers at Saratoga. Unwanted and Prince Sham were already confirmed for a return, In The Moment was skipping the Travers for the Pennsylvania Derby and October Miracle was going to California for the Pacific Classic. Late bloomers such as Different Beat and Mr. Sweet Talker.

We had Emily on the hot walker with Alex, who had come back pretty strongly, she had started racing on the turf after a fourth and fifth on the dirt. We sent her Belmont and ran her in the Belmont Oaks, she placed a convincing second, charging late to only finish a 3/4 of a length behind Sweet Kid, who was by Lemon Drop Kid out of Sweet Reason.

Emily was looking good, like always.

-2 week later-

"Emily first filly Travers winner?"

I looked in the DRF, Emily running in the Travers had gotten out when Saratoga released the post positions for the Travers, which was in 2 days now.

"Emily The First, top female in the country and top race horse in the country possibly, is racing in this years Travers. The filly had beaten Triple Crown champion, Unwanted, in the Haskell becoming the fourth filly to achieve that. Emily is now going to face Unwanted and Prince Shame again, but this time at her home base. She could possibly have the upper hand in this years Travers. The field has been drawn and Emily is breaking from the 3 post in a field of 5. The post positions are:

1. Different Beat

2. Prince Shame

3. Emily The First

4. Unwanted

5. Mr. Sweet Talker

Emily has gotten original jockey Nicole Gomez back in the saddle after temporary jockey Micheal Howard had been thrown by Emily before the Haskell and taken to the hospital, he is out of racing for 5 weeks. Emily is looking to take Unwanted's year end HOTY honor away, can she? We will find out on Saturday."

I looked at Nicole who was with Emily.

"Daily Racing Form, really are making a big thing out of the Travers." I said.

"It is a big thing, if Emily wins the Travers she could easily pick up Horse of the Year, she's started what? 5 times this year, losing once. That's not a bad record. If anything, losing to the colts isn't as bad as losing to Duchess." She said and pet Emily's head.

"Yeah, but we all know who will get the blame if we lose." I said and Nicole looked at me.

"Where's he going to find a rider that knows Emily as well as me and Micheal?" I shrugged and she laughed. "Right. So even if we lose, he's stuck with me."

"True." I said.

"I don't know though, about the Travers, I mean she won the Haskell by 9 lengths officially, and clocked 1:34.26. But Saratoga, the Travers. It's famous for their favorites losing." She said.

"We haven't lost at Saratoga so, why should the "grave yard of favorites" thing be our problem?" I asked.

"Well she's going to be the favorite obviously, she beat the boys pretty convincingly. But the Travers, mid summer derby, Saratoga, Grave Yard of favorites. It really only happens in the big races, losing as the favorite."

"Well, we'll see on Saturday." I said and we left it there. It was all silent, besides the whinnies from other horses, the occasional horse and trainer walking up and down the shedrow and Emily snorting.

Saturday was probably going to be tough for Emily. I know I'm acting like she's going to win again against the boys but, this field is smaller and Emily loves big field, she loves competition. But her only real competition is Prince Sham and Wanted, who both will be off the pace with Emily.

I looked at Emily. She was eating her food, Nicole watched her, she was the temporary groom for a while. Emily ate like a princess, neatly. Which was weird since Alex ate like she was never going to eat again, and most of our horses ate like Alex.

Emily lifted her big head, ears pricked forward and she looked at everything for a moment. She looked to me and didn't make a noise, she stared for a moment then went back to eating. I smiled, she's our special girl.

"She really is one weird racehorse." I said smiling.

"Yeah, she's our weirdo." Nicole said and pet Emily's neck. "Our tough little weirdo."

"Little?" I asked looking at her.

"You're right," she said and looked at Emily. "you're not little, you're big. Like your daddy." She said. "Heard anything about First War?" she asked.

"Yeah, he's still have production problems. Emily is still his best foal. I want to buy him back but I don't think the Japanese will let me. They love the big black beast, they also want him with his sire. War Emblem." I said. "First War is War Emblems beat foal, he won the Belmont. Something his sire never got to do, he went on to be pretty successful in his racing career, but not so much in the breeding shed. Makes me uneasy about Emily." I said.

Emily has a bloodline of production problems. Starting with her grand sire, War Emblem, then her sire First War. Her great dam on her dams side, Suffolk Colors had production and foaling problems. Only producing two foals in her broodmare career, and her sire, Waikaia, had production problems. So really, in afraid she might be the same as them.

"How's her leg?" She asked.

"Great. It's like the injury never happen." I said.

"Good. You a tough girl Emily."

"Yeah, I swear. She goes from Princess to Tomboy all the time." I said looking at her.

"How?"

"She's an absolute Princess in the stables and paddock. But when she's on the track and racing, she races like I should've entered her in the Derby." Nicole laughed.

"Maybe you should've." She said. "I mean she beat Unwanted and Prince Sham and a pretty good distance."

"But if she won the Derby and Preakness, I'm not sure she would've lasted in the Belmont. With how Unwanted performed in it. That would've been her first loss." I said.

"Eh, shoulda, coulda, woulda." She said.

"Man the Travers seems like forever away, but it's actually closer than you think." I said.

"I feel that way all the time. You get use I it after a while."

I looked at her, and nodded. It was quiet again. All that ran through my mind was the possible outcomes of the Travers, and what could come after.