Chapter Nine

-Saratoga Race Course, New York, 5 weeks before the Spinaway-

"The field for the Spinaway is set," Jack came running with his notebook, a BH Magazine, and DRF. "There's only three other fillies facing us." I looked up from one of our horses.

"That's weird, there are usually about seven fillies in the Spinaway." Jack handed me his DRF and on the front page it read.

'Saratoga Super Filly scares off competition in Spinaway' there was a photo of Emily in her maiden entering the stretch. Under the picture the story read.

"Quickly rising super star Emily The First is entered in this years Spinaway, the Breeders Cup Challenge race has only four fillies entered. Those being Red Hot Rose, Deep Waters, and I'll Be Diane. The rising star has demolished competition in only two starts, most recently her Landaluce win was an impressive one she won sprinting all the way home and winning by 22 lengths and knocking three seconds off the race record."

"Jack my man, our filly is a superstar!" I tossed the papers to Jack and kissed Emily's nose. "You're a big girl full of talent you know that?!" Emily softly whinnied and tossed her head a bit. She's a happy horse.

"She just loves you doesn't she?" Jack smiled at me.

"I guess she does." I couldn't help but smile at the thought. Then I heard hooves coming towards us, they weren't running hooves, just walking. I thought that was weird since we only had Michael as a stable hand. He insisted he was the only one to be with the horses. I turned and saw a beautiful blonde girl with a bay colt, they were in the stalls next to us.

"Hey." I said to her, she turned.

"Hi." She smiled at me then lead the colt into his stall. I walked over.

"I'm Nathan James, part of I.R.A." The girl looked up to me.

"I'm Dakota Maree, I'm a friend and groom for Emerald Gems Stables. Nice to meet you." She put her hand out and I shook it.

"Who's this good looking boy?" I nodded to the bay. He was big, seems like I've seen him somewhere before.

"This is Spherical. He's here to make his great come back," Dakota turned to Spherical "aren't you beautiful boy?" and she gave him a small pat on the neck. I smiled, "We have one more horse coming in, hope to leave with more. But it was nice to meet you, hope I see you around." She smiled and left the stall. I came out and turned back to Jack.

"So how was it?" I gave him a confused look.

"How was what?"

"Well, you went over to talk to that girl didn't you?" I nodded. "So how'd it go?"

"She's nice, she's a groom and friend of Emerald Gem Stables." Jack quickly looked to me again.

"E.G.M.? You mean the woman who bred Emily? Emily Halten? She owns the horses next to us?" I nodded.

"Yeah why?" I was confused as ever.

"Well why do you think she's here? She's probably going to try and buy Em off us."

"How would she do that? She's not running in a claimer. She's completely safe. Maybe she just wants to see Em, you know? She does own one of Emerald Downs best racers. And Dakota said she hopes they leave with more horses, as in there are claiming races this weekend and at every track in New York." Jack shrugged.

"Who's the colt in the stall?" I looked to the bay, he had his head over the stall door.

"That's Spherical, you know last years biggest Derby hopeful? I guess he's coming back." Spherical was a big bay, maybe 16.7, he had no marking.

"Oh yeah, what happen to him again?" I shrugged, I was a fan of Sphere when he was on the trail, but he just disappeared when he got injured after his Bluegrass win.

Emily was pretty much injury free, she always wore bandages when she worked, and blinkers when she worked. But that was also because we didn't like her getting too much attention. She likes attention but she does also get overwhelmed. Her fat blaze down her face was clean and I followed it down with my hand, her one white sock was dirty, but she'll get a bath when Michael get back. He loves this filly. 

Dakota came back with a big gray gelding, his name plate read:
STORMY PACIFIC

He was a big Handicap horse in the west coast. Wonder why he's at Saratoga.

"Any horses you looking at for claimers?" I asked.

"I don't really look for claimers, Ms. Halten does." She lead the big gray into his stall next to Spherical. "But I have horses to groom so I'll talk to you later. Bye guys." Dakota disappeared into Stormy Pacific's stall.

"You need to up your game my friend." Jack laughed as I walked back over to Emily and Diana.

"Diana has been a pretty big flop so far." I changed the subject as fast as possible.

"Well she's a speed horse, so she'll tire the field in the Spinaway. She's our rabbit." Diana was still all black, but she developed a little star and snip as she grew.

"She could be a good sprint horse. Enter her in some good preps for the Oaks to get points and she could be the rabbit for Emily if she makes the Oaks." Jack nodded.

"Good idea. I like how you think." I laughed .

I pet Emily before Michael came for her.

"Wash her good Mike, she's the Princess of Saratoga right now." Michael laughed.

"Got that right!" Michael put Em's halter and lead on. "C'mon Princess, let's go make you pretty." Emily neighed and nuzzled Mikes back. "You're so nice missy." Mike lead Emily to the washing area and she started to enjoy being loved and washed by Mike.

"She's a Princess alright. But on the track, she's the Queen of Hearts and will break yours in a second."