Chapter Thirty-Two

-Travers Day-

Emily had worked great for the Travers, she would be facing Unwanted and Prince Sham again. Three have had major attention in the days coming up to the Travers. Unwanted checked in a sharp 6 furlong workout, as did Emily.

"20 minutes to post in the Mid-Summer Derby today. The filly Emily The First, trying to become the first filly to win the the Travers. Your runners this year are:

1. Different Beat 15/1

2. Prince Sham 3/5

3. Emily The First 2/5

4. Unwanted 2/1

5. Mr. Sweet Talker 12/1

The big rematch between Emily The First, Unwanted and Prince Sham today. Let's see who wins here today, in 18 minutes."

I looked at Emily, she walked around with Michael, who was back as her groom. He looked at me and gave me a look.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"She's not on her toes likes she usually is. Do you think something's wrong?" He whispered to me, I took a step back and looked her over, feeling her legs too. I looked at Michael again.

"She feels fine. Maybe she's just more relaxed." I shrugged and he gave me a smile.

"Relaxed. Okay." He said and continued walking.

I crossed my arms and looked at how long until post. 12 minutes. I walked over to Jack who was with Nicole.

"Hey Nicole, she seems a little layed back today so, if she gets lazy I need you to push her along. Maybe follow Mr. Sweet Talker to the lead, but don't put too much pressure on her." She nodded.

"Got it Nathan."

We all turned to the clock. 10 minutes now.

"Riders up!" The paddock judge yelled and I turned and gave Nicole a leg up on Emily.

"Good luck ladies." I said and waved to them and walked to the stands with Jack.

We took our seats in the stands, the horses were warming up around the track. Emily lightly cantered along side our now retired Old Time Telly. Who was a fan favorite in California.

-Nicole's POV-

I stood up in Emily's saddle as she cantered along side Telly. She loped along, she seems uninterested really. I pat her neck and slowed her to a walk again.

We were lead to the gates and Emily loaded second, after Different Beat. I stroked her mane to keep her calm as we waited for the other horses to load in. I looked to my left and saw Different Beat, one stall separating us, and then Prince Sham walked in. I looked to the right and saw empty stalls before Mr. Sweet Talker in the 5 post walked in and then Unwanted after him. I leaned close to Emily waiting impatiently for the sound of the bell and the clanging of the metal gates hitting each other.

'Ring!'

The gates opened a way to the track and Emily stumbled at the start and I quickly picked her up and pushed her on. Then Mr. Sweet Talker cut across right in front of us, forcing Emily to check and steadily settle into the back of the pack behind Unwanted who also had a horrible start. I felt irritated with how we started.

We entered the first turn and we possibly were 6 lengths off of Mr. Sweet Talker who lead the field. I softly kissed to Emily and she responded with softly picking up like how I wanted her to. She brought herself along side Unwanted who was on the rail. I looked at the small colt, and his rider, Victor Espinoza, and looked forward. I had a steady hold on Emily, making sure she didn't waste any energy trying to get to the lead.

Into the start of the backstretch Mr. Sweet Talker still held the lead, but his lead was a short neck over Different Beat who was closing on the dark bay colt. I lightly loosened my grip on the reins and Emily out her neck in front of Unwanted. I looked between Emily's ears and saw the black coat of Prince Sham, he was about 2 1/2 lengths in front of us. I heard Victor chirp to Unwanted and his colt picked up speed as we ran half of the backstretch, I wasn't going to let the small colt get a head of me so I also chirped to Emily, she flicked her ears back to signal that she heard me and she stayed with Unwanted as we came up to Prince Sham.

Exiting the backstretch and turning for home, Mr. Sweet Talker was now dropping in speed and falling behind, moments later Different Beat slowly fell behind as well. Leaving the three top contenders to take the race to the finish. The first to try for the win out of the three of us was Prince Sham, his rider, Gary Stevens, had started urging him on and he quickly opened a 3 length lead.

The home turn opened to the stretch and Prince Sham had a 6 length lead. Unwanted started after Prince Sham. I held Emily back for a moment and then I let her go as soon as Prince Sham showed he was giving way and Unwanted felt confident on the lead. I release control of the reins and Emily shot, I felt her stride go from slow and smooth to fast and long and she stormed her way up to Unwanted. I showed her the whip and she responded powerfully. Victor Espinoza looked back at us and saw us flying at him and he started urging Unwanted who wasn't responding. We reached Unwanted mid way down the stretch and the two were stuck like glue, I didn't ask Emily for anything extra yet. I just let her run along side the colt. I heard the crowd cheering for the both the horses. I looked over at Victor who had brought the whip out on Unwanted to see if he'd possibly pick up, and I looked forward and the wire was inching closer and I yelled "yah!" at Emily and she pricked her ears forward and grabbed the dirt track and pulled herself away from the colt and ran her way to the finish. The crowd got louder as she pulled away from Unwnated, I had not used the whip on Emily in this race. She just ran like she had never stumble and got cut off. The wire flew passed us as I stood up in my stirrups and listened to the echo of the final parts of the call.

"Emily The First, is the first filly to win the Travers and she did it like a champion! She won by 4 lengths! Greatest filly in the country? I think yes!"

I pulled Emily up as she entered the turn again and she slowly slowed to a canter and then a trot and a walk. I saw Unwanted and Victor walk up beside us.

"I've gotta say Nicole. Your filly here, she somethin' else. I hope to see you two at the Whitney." He pat Unwanted's neck. "Cause we going got be there for sure." He smiled. "Congrats." He said and cantered away.

I smiled to myself and hugged Emily's sweaty neck.

"You did it Emily! You beat the boys again. Congrats big girl." I said and then urged her to a canter back to the stands.

As we approached the stands, the rail was lined with people cheering for us. I saw Jack, Nathan and Michael waiting for us on the track with smiling faces. I slowed Emily as we got close to them.

"Oh man, I thought it was over at the start. But she recovered beautiful because of you. Well done ladies, well done." Nathan said and Michael lead us into the winners circle.

I posed for the photo then got the good to go and I hopped off the big filly and hugged everyone.

"She really ran her race out there. Where next?" I asked while taking my saddle off.

"That's easy. The Whitney." Jack said and instantly reporters ran around them to ask about how they felt about her Emily's performance, where she'll go next and if she looked good.

I watched Michael lead the filly away for a moment and then I turned and weighed myself and headed to the Jockeys' Room.

Then I thought to myself.

Unwanted and Prince Sham are going to come back better than ever now cause they know how great Emily really is now. We're really in for it now.