Not a Date

"Jesse..." Hanzo sighed quietly as they pulled up in front of Mon Amour. He stared at the restaurant as the car slowed to a stop. "This is really unnecessary..."

"Nonsense." The cowboy cut the engine and looked over at the other, a smile on his face. "You're feelin' down, and I'm here t' cheer you up."

Long story short, the Shimada had texted his southern friend that he was upset about something. Ten minutes later, McCree was at his door telling him they were going out.

"Let's hang out, I'll pay for everythin' and we can go to this fancy restaurant -"

"So you're taking me on a date?"

"... No."

So here they were, walking up to the glass doors dressed somewhat nicely and fully unprepared. Despite the strange romantic vibe it was giving him, Hanzo appreciated his friend's who efforts. "Shows at least someone cares..."

They were seated rather quickly, at a table for two with a candle in the middle. The restaurant was decorated with red fabrics and the walls were dark red, along with dark oak tables and doors. The fact is was dimly lit also wasn't shaking the feeling of romance.

"What can I get you to drink?" A waiter asked as he passed out the menus. The ravenet spared a glance at Jesse. "You're driving, right?"

He sighed in response. "Sadly."

Five minutes later, glasses of wine and coke were set on the table and their orders were taken. Soft piano music played in the background as their menus were taken up. As the waiter left, the Shimada raised an eyebrow at his friend. "The setting really isn't helping your case."

"I know, I know..." He tried to hid his expression behind a swallow of his drink, but Hanzo could still see the cowboy's blush. He chuckled at this and brought his wineglass to his lips. "You didn't have to do this, y'know..."

"'Course I did." The brunet rested an elbow on the table and put his chin in his hand. The other bit his tongue and decided now was not the time to talk about table manners. "I ain't just gonna leave you with your own thoughts in a state like that. You'd worry yerself t' death."

He scoffed at this, looking away. "As if I don't do that already..." Before the other could interject, he leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. "I meant take me out somewhere fancy. You could've just came over and consoled me at home."

"Well, this is more effective." Both elbows were on the table now. "'Sides, I don't like seein' you down. If takin' you out cheers you up, then by all means will I do it. I also get a better look at ya."

Hanzo's eyes gleamed in amusement. "Flirting, are we?" He took another sip of wine. "I thought that only happened on dates..."

"Okay, okay,"McCree huffed, putting his hands on the table. "I guess this is a date. But not because I wanted to sneakily take you on one, because -"

The Asian interrupted him with a laugh and put his hand on top of the southerner's. "I get it..." A smile grazed his lips as they locked eyes. "And I'm glad to hear it."

Jesse relaxed at this, relief clear in his expression as he returned the smile. They stayed like that until the food arrived. That little, subtle confession made the rest of the evening blissful.