Chapter 24

Third Person POV

The night was quiet. There was a peaceful silence as the stars glowed and shimmered, lighting up the night of the heaven's above. Only the regular quiet chirps of the night broke the silence. The moon glowed bright and it seemed to be closer than normal, filling the sky. 

Claws clicked on the wood of the floor in a house that was quiet as ever. There was peace in every room, but a creature still stirred, something compelling it to move. It was like a strange force was guiding them to make sure that all really was as perfect as it seemed. 

A whine sounded as the male left the bed, the younger female calling him back to her. The male turned and gave her a comforting nuzzle and a loving lick before heading off once more. This time, the female followed after him.

The two slowly crept up the stairs, the click of their claws the only sound signifying their presence. They padded softly to the master bedroom, where the force had been pulling them before. The two looked at each other before slipping inside. They kept their heads low, but their ears perked up as they heard the quiet moans of a girl. They began to walk faster, going to investigate.

Once beside the bed, they both hopped up, sniffing carefully to see what was wrong. At first, they didn't detect a thing, but then, a strong, salty, and warm scent hit their noses and they both recoiled, finally understanding what was wrong.

They two wolves whimpered in distress. They quickly hurried to the other side of the bed and began tugging on the man's pant leg and scratching the wooden post. With a groan, the man woke and looked at the two.

"Arctic? Fall? What's...*yawn* going on with you two?" They two of them whimpered and the female padded back over to the other side. She let out a whine followed by a worried bark as her paws rested on the bed next to the girl who still lay squirming in her sleep. The man was more awake now, seeing what the two wolves were trying to warn him of.

"What...? (Y/n). (Y/n), wake up angel." The girl woke with a small pained gasp as her husband gently shook her awake. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" He asked softly. Her eyes drifted over to him as one hand raced to her stomach while the other clasped his tightly. 

"H-Hiccup...t-the baby..." It a second, the night went from quiet to chaotic with no warning. The small moans had turned into pained cries that rang out through the village. Not a soul slept a moment longer. One man's panic had quickly spread, sending tension through the entire village.

Family and friends waited downstairs, trying to block out the screams that shook the walls. Upstairs, things were worse. The wolves huddled in the corner, the scent of blood now stronger than before. The third eldest brother stood with the village healer while the husband clasped his wife's hand tightly, his heart pounding faster than ever. His thumb gently rubbed the back of her hand as he muttered reassurance and support to her.

"It's alright. I'm here. It'll be over before you know it, sweetheart. You're going to be just fine. I promise." He told her, kissing her tears away as they fell. She let out another scream of pain and the man swallowed hard, his fear causing his body to shake.

"It won't be long now. I just hope it's almost time. She's losing blood." The brother warned.

"N-nothing's going to happen to her, right?"

"I don't know." He replied honestly. The husband turned back to his wife and continued to hush her as it all took place. Meanwhile, downstairs the rest of the family were all waiting in suspense, having an even fainter idea of what was taking place. Another scream made all of them look up with wide eyes. 

The eldest sister huddled closer to her husband who tried his best to provide her with comfort but was just as fearful as the rest. The second eldest brother paced, his blood rushing through his body and a lump in his throat that he tried desperately to swallow. The eldest leaned against the wall, too deep in thought to acknowledge the others. The youngest gripped the blanket he had even harder at the scream, his nerves getting the best of him.