Chapter 6

"Someone's here." You had just gotten back from a flight around the island with Valka and Runa when you noticed how troubled Hiccup looked. You all had gone over to see what was up when he'd come and set something strange down. It was a design you'd never seen before.

"Huh?" Gobber asked as Hiccup set the dart on a barrel. Tuff took the dart before you could get a closer look at it.

"He managed to slip past our scouts and lay a trap in the woods." Hiccup explained.

"It ruined boy talk!" Tuff said.

"What talk?" You asked, looking at Hiccup in confusion. 

"Don't ask." Tuff threw the dart which hit a wooden box that Eret was carrying. 

"Whoa!" Eret exclaimed as it hit the box, nearly hitting him instead.

"Tuff! Watch it!" You warned him.

"Oh, sorry." Gobber got mad at the fact that you all had an intruder on the island.

"Let me at 'em! Let me at 'em!" He insisted.

"Slow down, Gobber. Let's get a search team on the ground. Scouts in the air. Toothless and I will fly the coastline-" Hiccup began, but Eret spoke up as he finished examining the dart.

"Yeah. I wouldn't advise taking Toothless anywhere, Chief. I know this handy work. Grimmel the Grisly. Famous back where I'm from. Smartest dragon hunter I ever met. Well, next to me of course." Eret described. 

"Well, he can't be that smart. He left his trap unmanned." Hiccup pointed out. Eret handed the dart to you with a laugh. You looked at it, wondering what liquid could be inside. The dart is very intricate. Clearly, work went into making this. But why would a random dart with an entire dosage of whatever this stuff is be laying around at a trap site? It's almost as if it was left there on purpose. What Eret said next helped to confirm your suspicions. 

"Ha! Nothing's accidental when it comes to old Grimmel. He lives for the hunt, to get inside the mind of his. To control its every thought. It's all a game to him." Eret warned, causing you to feel hesitant to do any sort of searching with dragons. After all, even if Toothless seemed to be the target here, if what Eret said was true, Toothless could also be a cover-up for what he was actually after. Anything could've been true if Eret was right. Arrow and Hiccup were much swifter to brush off the new threat.

"Well, he doesn't know who he's playing with," Arrow argued.

"Yeah, we've dealt with his kind before." Hiccup agreed.

"Don't underestimate him, Hiccup. Mark my words, he'll be back." Eret told you all.

"Then we'll be waiting for him." Hiccup assured. While you were a little wary of him just dismissing this Grimmel person, you were still more focused on the dart.

"Hiccup..." He turned, seeing your concern as you examined the trinket. He came closer, also taking a peek at it again.

"What is it? Do you know what that stuff is?"

"This isn't a normal dart. I've never seen liquid like this." You explained. "It almost looks like...venom." Hiccup looked back at you, concerned now as well. 

"But...Armor Blades are the only dragons we know to produce any sort of venom remotely close to this."

"Exactly." 

"He's using dragons?" Arrow asked.

"Maybe, but this could also be from some plant we don't know or something like that. We can't be certain." Hiccup added, making sure to cover all possibilities. You fiddled with it, still inspecting the barrel of the device closely.