Chapter 17

Third Person POV

Nightshade was laying down under a tree looking more depressed than ever. Toothless wanted to go over to her and makeup with her since she was the first friend he'd ever had aside from Hiccup, but he decided not to, knowing she needed her space.

Hiccup walked in front of his dragon, knowing it was time. He dreaded it, but there was nothing else he could do. He sighed heavily as he began what he expected to be the hardest talk of his life.

"It's okay, bud. You belong there, with her. We don't. And that's alright." He told the dragon, petting his head slightly as well. "We'll find a way to man-" Toothless turned quickly out of nowhere and Hiccup stopped talking. He looked in the same direction, trying to see what Toothless was worked up about. They both spotted the Light Fury as she poked her head up above the long grass. Toothless roared happily, getting very excited.

"Hey!" Hiccup exclaimed, smiling as he felt hope. Toothless licked his face and he laughed as he did so. "She followed us back!" 

Toothless ran toward the Light Fury, but he paused. The Night Fury turned toward where Nightshade was laying in the shadows of the trees. He roared for her to come and meet his Light Fury girlfriend. She raised her head and spotted the Light Fury. She growled slightly and turned away. Toothless was upset by this, but he kept going to greet the Light Fury and play with her. Nightshade watched out of the corner of her eye before turned her head toward them and whining sadly. Hiccup noticed this.

"Don't worry, girl! We might not have to say goodbye after all!" She looked at him, unsure if he was getting the right idea.

Toothless began to make his way back to Hiccup and turned toward the Light fury again, gesturing for her to follow him. However, she stayed put, unsure of what he was implying. "That's it." Hiccup urged, wanting her to come closer.

Suddenly, Ruffnut came in on the Scuttleclaw Grimmel had given her. Hiccup was stunned and confused by this. So was Arrow. Neither of them had been expecting her return.

"Woohoo! Yeah!" Ruff cheered as she landed and threw her helmet away.

"Ruffnut?" Arrow asked.

"Miss me?"

"How did you escape?" Arrow asked her again.

"I annoyed them till they let me go." She replied, chuckling.

"W-wait...Grimmel let you go?" Hiccup asked, getting nervous fast.

"So dumb. They couldn't handle me. See, everyone thinks Tuffnut's more annoying but-" Arrow cut her off.

"But hold on."

"Ruffnut! Focus. Were you followed?" Hiccup asked. She grinned at him.

"I never look back, Hiccup." Hiccup gasped as he realized why Grimmel let her go.

"Toothless!" He exclaimed running toward the two Furies. "Toothless!" He called again, trying to get his dragon's attention and warn him of the danger. The Light Fury sensed the danger first and quickly tried to fly off the island. Nonetheless, the Light Fury was hit by a dart as she did so. She started to fall back toward the ground. Toothless, alarmed, ran to save her but she fell to the ground and slid toward the edge of the cliff. Hiccup knew that Toothless was running straight into a trap. "Toothless! Come back!"

However, Toothless continued to run towards the Light Fury, but then Grimmel appeared and pointed his bow at Toothless. Toothless got ready to fire a plasma blast but Grimmel shot first, knocking him unconscious. "NO!" Hiccup yelled, still running toward them. Grimmel quickly chained up both dragons and began to fly off on his airship. Arrow and Ruffnut hurried to catch up to Hiccup.