Chapter 22

(Wait to play the video, please. And, if the video gets taken down again, the song is Hideaway by Grace Vanderwaal.)

Later that night, you were glad to take Hiccup away from everyone else. You had your own plans. Runa and the boys had helped you. Only a few people were going to be there. They were the only ones that knew.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"You'll see." You told him with a smile. Soon, you made it to the cliffside clearing where everything was set up. There were lights and your family had built a makeshift stage for them and their instruments. Hiccup was shocked. You laughed. "You aren't the only one with surprises!"

"Clearly." He agreed, looking around at it all. You pulled him along and the others greeted you happily. Your friends and family were the only ones there. It felt right to just have it be them.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it!" You blushed, but you grinned.

"Then I think you'll like what comes next even better." He looked interested yet confused. "Boys!" You called. Your family grinned and hurried to grab their instruments. 

"All you, sis!" Hiccup's eyes widened and you pulled him to the center of the clearing and you began to dance as the music got started. You, of course, were the one to sing the lyrics. 

"Let's wrap a blanket 'round us and go flyin' into outer space. We could be famous, speak a different language, make our great escape. I'll chase the stars inside your eyes and follow you into the great unknown. We'll be alone." Hiccup smiled as your voice rang out and the others clapped along as your family took care of the rest of the music. "So let's just play pretend and find a secret place when the world around us says that we should act our age. The day is gonna come when there's no time left to waste, but we'll never grow up, I say we hide away~ And build a city, something out of nothing, make this place a home~ A home~ Stay make-believing, we'll go disappearing. Who would ever know? We'll never be too far apart 'cause in the end, you and I both know there's somewhere we can go." Hiccup laughed happily as the two of you danced together, not caring about anything else. "So let's just play pretend and find a secret place when the world around us says that we should act our age! The day is gonna come when there's no time left to waste~ But we'll never grow up, I say we hide away!" Your sister started singing too, but she didn't sing the lyrics. She gave you a backup voice. 

"Ooo~ Ooo! Ooo~ Ooo!"

"Just want to hide away! Hide away, hide away~! Hide away, hide away. We'll never grow up, just want to hide away. Hide away, hide away~! Hide away, hide away. So let's just play pretend and find a secret place when the world around us says that we should act our age! The day is gonna come when there's no time left to waste~ But we'll never grow up, I say we hide away! So let's just play pretend and find a secret place when the world around us says that we should act our age! The day is gonna come when there's no time left to waste~ But we'll never grow up, I say we hide away! Don't make me grow up, I say we hide away."

Your friends cheered as the song ended and Hiccup held you closer, laughing happily. You laughed along, hugging back. He gave you a quick kiss before pulling back and smiling at you. 

"You're amazing."

"Guess that runs in both our families." He chuckled and your sister took over singing as everyone joined in and had fun dancing and laughing together in celebration. As you danced and sang, the hour grew late and soon everyone felt it was time to get some rest. You thanked your family for helping with everything and they told you it wasn't a problem. 

You and Hiccup headed back to your house and you went to feed Arctic before you headed up to your room. Hiccup was already there and you smiled, standing in the doorway for a moment as you watched him struggle with the crown. You giggled and he turned as he heard you. He blushed with a shy smile. You loved how he still held the same adorable dorkiness he had all those years ago. Guess that's something that will never change. At least, I hope it doesn't.