Chapter 12

Third Person POV

Hiccup was still working on the new tail for Toothless. He'd worked through the night trying to help his dragon friend and he was confident his hard work was going to pay off. Arrow came over to see what he was doing. He saw the drawing and his eyes widened. He hadn't expected this from the young chief and close friend.

"Oh...someone hasn't slept." He commented.

"Yeah. Well, that Light Fury won't let me within a mile of her." Hiccup replied. As he said this, Toothless scratched himself, causing his scales to shed and fall onto the ground. Arrow picked them up and gave them to Hiccup. "And neither of us will be getting any sleep or finding the Hidden World until Toothless takes over." Toothless pushed Hiccup out of the way to look through a magnifying glass. Hiccup grinned at the dragon. "Hey! What do you think of that? Yeah." He let the dragon admire it before pushing Toothless away and picking up a bowl.

"You tried this once before. He didn't want it." Arrow pointed out, dropping the scales into the bowl.

"Well, until now he didn't have a reason to. Right, bud?" Toothless spit in the bowl and Hiccup mashed it all up.

"Hmmm..." Arrow hummed in thought.

"What?" Hiccup asked.

"No. Nothing. I'm...I'm impressed. I mean, look at you. Embracing change." Arrow replied. Hiccup began to paint the tail with the black paint he'd just made.

"Well, he's my best bud. I want him to be happy. And besides, it's just until he brings her back." Hiccup said, patting Arrow on the back. Arrow, however, didn't look too convinced that his plan would go exactly as Hiccup was thinking. "Alright, fire when ready!" Toothless fired a plasma blast at the tail, but Gobber was standing behind it.

"Ah!" The tail was fine, but Gobber's clothes were not. "Well, I guess you know the tail is fireproof." He said angrily. Hiccup shrugged sheepishly at him, choosing to move on with no comment.

"Okay, Toothless." Hiccup told the dragon. Toothless ran around excitedly, eager for him to put the tail on. "Okay. Okay. Okay. Yes, I know. Shh, I know. Shhh." Hiccup told him. Toothless stopped running around and allowed Hiccup to put on the new tail. He tried to attach it, but his tail was still moving too much. "Please, this is not helping."

"Well, well, well. Someone's excited." Eret said as he came up to see what was going on.

"Uhuh, he's fresh off his first date. Now he's love-crazed." He managed to get the tail on but still had to adjust it a bit.

"Only we're the ones going crazy. The sooner he brings back that Light Fury, the better." Gobber grumbled.

"Yeah, but to do that, he'll need to fly without me. So, time to give this new and improved baby a shot." Hiccup explained, standing up after he was finished. The tail was on now and Toothless tried stretching it out. It worked and followed his motions easily. Hiccup smiled proudly.

"Atta boy! Looking sharp, Toothless. So, what do you think, bud? Bring her home by sundown at the latest." Hiccup told him, doing a voice like Stoick's at the end. Toothless pushed his head into Hiccup, licked his face, and then gave him a hug. "Save it for your girlfriend! Go on, get out of here!" Hiccup told him, urging Toothless to leave with a light push. Toothless started running off but he stopped, not thinking it was right to go without Hiccup. They hadn't flown without each other ever since the Snoggletog incident. 

He turned around and looked at Hiccup as if double-checking that this was actually alright. "It's okay." Hiccup reassured. Toothless replied excitedly and then flew off. As he took to the sky, he looked at his new tail fin and then looked at Hiccup who was smiling happily at him. Toothless took off, sailing through the air on his own and out to find the Light Fury. Everyone around Hiccup stopped working, looking at him in shock as the dragon left. Hiccup took a heavy sigh and then everyone started working again, deciding it was best not to comment.