Chapter 16

Third Person POV

In the sky and above the ocean, Hiccup and Arrow were still riding Nightshade and Stormfly. They were still searching for Toothless. They hadn't found anything yet. Hiccup looked toward Arrow. Neither of them knew where they were going, but Hiccup knew even less than Arrow did.

"Where-where is she heading?" He asked, looking at Stormfly. Nightshade had been following Stormfly, but she had been sniffing around too. It was obvious that both of the dragons were looking for something.

"She's tracking something, aren't you, girl?" Arrow said to his dragon. Stormfly flew down closer to the ocean. Nightshade followed her.

"There's nothing but miles and miles of-" Hiccup cut off as the two of them spotted something up ahead. They both noticed it was a water spray above the ocean and kept heading towards it. When they got closer, they were stunned to find out it was a huge waterfall. "A great waterfall..." 

"At the end of the world." Arrow finished. They both looked at each other, lost on what to even say. Then, both of the dragons sensed something within the waterfall. Nightshade roared to Stormfly and they dove down into the hole.

"Stormfly!" Arrow exclaimed.

"Hold on!" Hiccup called out, gripping the saddle tighter as they went inside. They entered the Hidden World after flying through the waterfall. Stormfly and Nightshade descended into the entrance of the mushroom forest. They flew over bright blue water and then entered a section of the Hidden World where there were tall pillars with bioluminescence. Stormfly started to glow. Nightshade's skin patterned started to glow too. Her claws sparkled and so did her skin. Hiccup laughed in bewilderment at this.

"Wow!" Arrow exclaimed, equally surprised.

"Look!" Hiccup said, pointing to the edge of the cliff. They continued flying along together. As they flew by a nest, the eggs in it began to glow, revealing the developing baby dragons inside. Then, they flew alongside hundreds of thousands of fireworms. Arrow reached out, trying to touch some of them. 

They soon arrived at the center point of the Hidden World, which looked like some sort of throne room for the King of Dragons. Arrow gasped at the sight before them. He spotted a dragon that was very close to them and warned Hiccup of it as well. They both tried to hide and land somewhere more secluded. After they landed, they started walking toward the center to get a better look.

"It really does exist," Hiccup exclaimed, astonished and smiling at the wonder around them. Lots of dragons were flying above them so the two of them had to try and lay low. They stopped walking and laid down at the edge of a cliff, watching the dragons fly around. On a high part of the Hidden World, Toothless was with the Light Fury. Hiccup spotted him and began to get up.

"Toothless!"

"Shhh! You'll spook them." Arrow warned, grabbing his friend and pulling him back down.

Toothless and the Light Fury flew down from where they were and started flying around with a group of dragons flying behind them. A few dragons watched and roared on the ground. Toothless and the Light Fury landed on the gigantic crystal centerpiece, looking over a large part of the Hidden World. All the dragons that were standing on the ground roared for Toothless. Toothless roared very loudly in response almost as if asserting himself as the king.

"Now that's a king," Arrow commented.

After the roaring, Toothless turned around and looked at the Light Fury happily. The Light Fury walked to Toothless and then they both did some small roars as if they were flirting with each other. Next, they sat side by side and watched the crowd of dragons as they roared for their king. Hiccup frowned, feeling the heartbreak set in as he realized the truth for what had to be done. Arrow looked over at Hiccup and saw his expression. He placed a hand on Hiccup's back, patting his friend as he tried to comfort him.

"We should go." Hiccup muttered and they both began to stand. Suddenly, they heard a growl. The two of them turn only to find out a Rumblehorn was behind them.

"Oh, no," Arrow said nervously. They backed away from the dragon just before stepping off. Hiccup tried to tame the dragon by holding out this hand but the dragon roared angrily in response, causing all of the dragons to become aware of the danger, especially Toothless. "Stormfly! Nightshade!" Arrow yelled for the dragons to help them, but there was no time.

Hiccup and Arrow jumped off of the cliff and slid down the cliff surface. Toothless spotted them and saw that it was his friends. He quickly took off, flying towards them and stopping the other dragons from coming with him. The Light Fury watched, worried and confused. 

As Hiccup and Arrow slid down, they did their best to dodge the dragons that were trying to attack them. They fell to the bottom of the cliff on their hands and knees. They stood up quickly and started to run from the Rumblehorn. "Go! Go!" Arrow yelled. Suddenly, another roar was heard. Nightshade came out of nowhere with Stormfly right on her tail.

Toothless managed to grab them first and roared to stop the dragons from following him as they all hurried to escape. This had not gone as planned. Toothless wasn't happy to have to take them back. 

"I-I'm sorry, bud. I-I-I just-" Hiccup tried to explain himself to his dragon, but there was no time for that at the moment. Toothless stopped more dragons from attacking them and then they all were able to leave safely. He dropped Arrow onto Stormfly and Hiccup climbed onto Toothless' back. Nightshade didn't look happy as they all flew onwards. Hiccup was too depressed to focus on anything. He remembered a time when he was little with his father.

*Flashback*

Young Hiccup noticed that his father was crying at their fireplace as he came down the stairs. The boy looked worried as he spotted his distraught father. It was something he wasn't used to from the powerful chief and father he had come to know and love. 

Stoick soon realized Hiccup was in the room. "Son! You should be asleep." He said, quickly wiping his tears away.

"I was thirsty." Hiccup replied sheepishly. Stoick smiled a little at his son, feeling better as his heir answered in such an innocent fashion.

"Yeah, come here." He beckoned. Hiccup climbed down the stairs and ran over to his Dad. Stoick lifted Hiccup onto his lap and allowed him to use tongs for the fire. There was silence for a moment before Hiccup spoke up again.

"Dad? Are you gonna get us a new Mom?" Stoick hugged him and kissed his head.

"I don't want another. Your mom was the only woman for me. She was the love of my life. But with love comes loss, son. It's part of the deal. Sometimes it hurts, but in the end, it's all worth it. There's no greater gift than love." Stoick explained, to which Hiccup nodded. It was a lesson he didn't understand at the time, but then again, how could anyone truly understand every detail of love? Well, the only thing he could do was try to learn, and a thing such as that would take time. However, if he the young boy didn't understand, it was hard to ever truly be ready for a lesson as hard to accept as that one.

*End flashback*

 Hiccup was brought out of his thoughts as Nightshade flew in front of Toothless and roared at him in anger. Everyone was shocked by this. Toothless had no idea why his Armor Blade friend was so furious with him. Hiccup didn't understand either.

"What's wrong with her?" Arrow asked.

"I don't know-" Hiccup cut off as Nightshade looked back at her saddle, let out a small whine, and then went back to glaring and growling at Toothless. Toothless looked at the saddle and noticed (Y/n) was not with Nightshade. He titled his head in confusion and let out a whine. Hiccup understood.

"Nightshade!" She looked up at him, still looking furious. "Toothless had nothing to do with (Y/n)'s capture! Don't take it out on him!" Hiccup told her sternly. Toothless looked shocked and roared slightly looking at Nightshade as if to ask if that was true. Nightshade looked conflicted now and turned, rushing ahead. Toothless whined sadly and Hiccup pet him. "It's okay, bud. She's just upset. She's really worried about (Y/n)." Toothless whined again, conflicted himself now. They followed after Nightshade and soon made it back to New Berk.