“They won’t tell me where they are. Your father told me that since I was going to be in contact with you since I immediately signed up to question you, that he knew the topic of him and your mother would come up and he didn’t want any questions like that to come up. So they are left unanswered for now.”

I slumped in my seat, eyes brimming with tears again. So long story short, they don’t want me. I guess my facial expression was easy to read because Scooter immediately jumped right back into the topic.

“They talk about you and Toby all the time. Last time I talked to them, they demanded that once I saw you, I would tell them everything about you. How much you’ve grown up, what you look like, how your life is going and how your adoptive parents are spoiling you.” he smirked.

I smiled slightly at everything else that he said, but bringing up Rita made me mad. “Rita does less than spoil me.” I sniffed.

“Rita?” he asked, confused.

“My terrible excuse for an adoptive mom.” I huffed.

“She doesn’t treat you well?” he questioned, going back into cop mode.

I shook my head. “Not at all. I hate her.”

“What does she do?”

That’s when I went on full rampage mode. “She’s terrible! She gets drunk all the time and she’ll take it out on me and one time she was even gone for three days so I had to fend for myself. Plus, not to mention, that where we live isn’t exactly paradise.”

He let those words sink in. “She takes it out on you?” he said slowly, “meaning she’s hit you before.” He stated.

Crap, probably shouldn’t have said that. I was venting so it just slipped out. “Uh, yeah she has before.”

“How many times?”

“Twice I think.” I looked down, fidgeting in my seat.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone about this?” he boomed, making me shrink back into my seat, “Why didn’t you call the authorities?”

“I don’t know,” I squeaked.

“Tell me!” he demanded.

“Because I didn’t want to be away from Toby, okay?” I flew up from the chair, making it fall backwards in the process, “If I called the cops then they would’ve shipped me off to God knows where and I wouldn’t have been in contact with my brother because for all I know, I could’ve been with someone a lot worse than Rita if that’s even at all possible!”

Scooter sat back in his chair and took a deep breath. “I get where you’re coming from now.”

I let out a shaky breath and stared at him.

“What I’m about to ask you to do is a lot and I’m not expecting you to say yes right now but I want you to think about it.”

I hesitated before nodding.

“I want you to come live with me. I don’t want you around Rita anymore.”

My jaw dropped to the ground. Okay, not all the way to the ground but you know what I mean. He wanted me to come live with him? Someone actually cared that I hated where I lived? That I was going through pure hell each and every day?

“You would do that?”

He smiled warmly. “Of course.”

“What about Rita?”

“Eh, screw her. I’ve never met her and I already don’t like her because of what she’s done to you. I don’t want you to have to deal with that anymore.”

I relapsed into silence. Thousands of images flashed into my mind of what my life could be like. Normal. But what about Ariel? I didn’t want to leave her. And, as much as I hated to admit it, Alex too. I would miss him.

“I-I don’t want to leave my friends.” I stammered.

“You don’t have to,” he chuckled, “I live about half an hour from here in this average sized, two story house. It’s in a gated community and everything!”

“On a cop salary?” I put my hand on my hip.

“I’m in charge of everyone here, I get paid extra.” He winked at me causing me to smile.

“So what do you say?” he asked after a minute.

I opened my mouth and then stopped. What do I say?

“Um, that’d-that’d be great.” I smiled gratefully.

He beamed at me and got up and wrapped me in a hug. It was so familiar and it felt just like the hugs my father used to give me. Hugging Scooter just made me miss him more. Before I started crying again, I pulled back.

“Is there going to be a funeral?”

“Yupp, arranged it myself!” he said proudly, “it’s this Saturday.”

“Thank you so much.” I smiled at him before hugging him myself.

I think I made a good choice.

----------------------------------

A/N- Super sorry about the wait, guys! Had absolutely no motivation to write and school has been crazy! Gotta love being a junior. Plus the drama. Aha, no lol. But I love being able to come home and talk to you guys, it honestly makes my day so much better <3 Okay so my best friend inspiried Airel's character but when I started writing this, she was a blonde but she was always saying she wanted red hair and guess what? She has red hair now so she gave me full permission to call her Ariel lol. I'm trying to get her to call me Sapphire but she's being a stubborn little mermaid >.< anywho, I almost put this chapter on my Austin Mahone fanfic. Whoopsies! Alright, bye guys! Je t'aime! Love, me (: