Safe

He nodded in agreement. “But how?”

          I sighed. “I wish I knew.”

          “How about we-” he started but a soft chiming coming from my phone cut him off.

      I got up off the bed and retrieved my phone from my bag. The caller ID was blocked. “It’s blocked.” I told him, holding up my phone, showing him.

       He took the phone out of my hand and answered the call without hesitation. “Hello?” he scrunched his eyebrows together.

          “Who is this?” he glanced my way. “She’s right here.” He hesitantly handed me the phone.

          “Who is it?” I mouthed but he shrugged, scratching his head.

          I pressed the phone up to my ear. “You’re gonna tell who you are and you’re gonna tell me now.”

          “Sapphire? Hey, it’s Mike. Toby’s friend? Remember me?” He asked slowly.

          “I remember. Is there something you need?”

          A slight pause. “I was just wondering if you knew where Toby was. He’s not answering his phone and he hasn’t been around.”

          He didn’t know. His own best friend didn’t know what happened. I took a shaky breath. “You don’t know, do you?”

          “Know what?” Mike asked.

          “Toby died, Mike.” I said in a rush, fresh tears brimming.

          Another pause. But longer this time. “Is this a joke? Because if it is it’s a pretty sick one.”

          “Why the hell would I lie about this?” I screeched, a worried look washing across Alex’s face.

          “Okay, okay, sorry!” he defended himself, “I can’t believe my best friend is gone. That’s a shame. He owed me money.”

          Did he seriously just say that? I clenched my teeth. “He just died and all that you care about is that he owed you mon-” I almost dropped my phone, registering what he just said. Money. Toby owed Mike money. Like he did with the guy in my dream?

          “Sapphire? You there?”

          “Why did you owe you money and how much?” I demanded.

          “Why do you care?”

          “Tell me, now.” I threatened.

          “He was helping me pay rent for this place and he was slacking on it for the past few months so I covered for him and he promised he’d pay me back. He owed me maybe one grand? I dunno. I don’t know what he was blowing all his money on. It’s not like he lost his job or anything.”

          “I have to go.” I said through clenched teeth and hanging up before he could respond.

          I through my phone on the ground, hoping it would break but knowing that it didn’t because it’s like impossible to break my phone for whatever reason. I shut my eyes tight and balled my hands into fists, my knuckles growing white. I felt Alex come and stand in front of me. He gently took one of my fists and slowly unpeeled my fingers one by one. He began massaging my palm to try to loosen the muscles back up. A little spark of electricity went through me when he touched me but not enough for me to think anything of it.

         “Sapphire?”

          I didn’t answer, just kept breathing shallowly.

         “Who was that?”

          I shook my head, eyes still shut tight.

        He sighed and let go of my hand and reached for my other one, unpeeling each of my fingers and massaging my palm like he did with my other one. When he finished I just let them fall limply at my sides. My fingers twitched, itching to clench back up and punch something. I guess Alex saw them slowly curling back up because he sighed and intertwined his fingers with mine. So here we were, standing in the middle of his room, practically holding hands. And for some reason, those little annoying sparks of electricity were back; making it hard to concentrate on the conversation I just had with Mike.

         He let go of one of my hands and reached up to tuck a strand of hair  behind my ear. “Who was that?”

        “Mike.” I said through clenched teeth.

        “Who’s Mike?” he asked slowly, taking my hand again.

        I took a deep breath. “Toby’s roommate and supposed best friend. Lousy friend he is. He didn’t even know what happened!” I shouted, eyes snapping open. “Don’t you think that’s a little suspicious? And according to him, Toby owed him money which is exactly like what happened in my dream!” I exclaimed, ripping my hands away from his and flailing them about as I started angrily pacing around the room.

         “What dream?” he asked.

         I paused for a moment. “I had a dream a while ago about Toby getting killed because he owed some dude money. And Mike said Toby owed him money. I don’t know, maybe I’m blowing this whole thing out of proportion but just the thought of him doing something like that to my brother is-”

        He cut me off and came and stood in front of my, taking my hands again, bending down slightly to look me in the eyes. “Hey, hey, hey. Calm down, okay?” he said, soothingly.

       When I refused to look him in the eyes, he gently tilted my chin up to make me look at him. “We’ll find out what happened to him and we’ll find out together. I won’t leave your side at all. I promise.”

         I don’t know what it was about that moment. Whether it was the fact that I found myself getting lost in his eyes, and not for the first time either, or the fact that his eyes held so much faith in me, as if he knew I could do this. But in that moment, in the middle of his gigantic room that was holding us intact, for once in my life, I felt safe.

------------------------

A/N- was it Mike?! or was it a freak accident?! or was it someone we have yet to discover?! hmmm...let me know what you think in the comments below! :D I don't know about you but I loved the little moment that Sapphire and Alex had <3 but will they get together?! do you want them to get together?! all these questions but no answers!! answer me below!! also, this chapter is going to be dedicated to @KaryOrtiz for being amazing and also being one of my BFTINM!! hope you guys liked this chapter!! vote, please? (: votes keep me motivated! also check out the picture of Mike on the side!! haha alright, bye guys! je t'aime! love, me (: