Surprise!

I woke up the next morning to the light shining through the window, nearly blinding me. I almost forgot where I was but when I saw the red hair sprawled out on the pillow next to me, I remembered that I had crashed at Ariel’s. Then I remembered that I had an interrogation down at the station today.

I groaned angrily and kicked Ariel underneath the blanket. She stirred but didn’t fully wake up. She’s always been such a heavy sleeper. I sighed and full on pushed her all the way off the bed. She hit the floor with a ‘thud’ and I could hear the air leave her lungs from my position on the bed.

I leaned over the side of the bed and peered down at my best friend. Her fiery red hair, which was thrown across her face, looked even redder and her eyes narrowed at me. Her arms were bent at a weird angle and I wondered if that was supposed to happen. Eh, she’s double jointed, she’s fine.

“You couldn’t shake me awake like a normal person?” she asked.

“I tried!” I defended myself, “but you’re just lazy.”

“If I didn’t love you…” she huffed, trailing off before standing up and dusting the imaginary specks of dirt off of her precious pajamas.

I gave her an award winning smile before swinging out of bed myself. “I kinda don’t have anything to wear.”

“You can borrow something of mine.” She told me, walking over to her giant walk in closet and throwing the door open.

“You know the rules. Nothing frilly, too girly-”

“Nothing with sparkles, sequins, or dresses yeah, yeah, I know the drill.” She finished for me.

She walked into the depths of her closet, trying to find me something that fits my standards and that I would actually want to be seen in. It’s not that I don’t like Ariel’s sense of style; it’s just that it doesn’t suit me.

“If you won’t wear a dress, what are you gonna wear to Prom?” she shouted from inside her closet.

“I’m not going.” I said simply.

She poked her head around the corner and raised her eyebrows. “What do you mean you’re not going?”

“Exactly that.” I said, although it came out as more of a question, “I’m not going.”

“And why not?” she placed her hands on her hips.

“Dresses and dances plus me equals disaster.”

“You can take Alex.” She said, completely ignoring my statement and disappearing inside her closet again.

“Yeah, no thanks.” I answered half-heartedly.

“He really likes you, Sapph, just give him a chance!” she almost whined.

She came out with a red sundress draped over her arm and matching Toms in one hand, which I’m guessing were for her, because draped over her other arm was a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a black crop top with skull on it.

I thanked her then pranced to the bathroom down the hall to take a shower and get dressed. I turned the hot water on and bounced back and forth, getting used to the steaming water hitting my back. Once I was used to it and my muscles started to relax, I took a shower as quick as I could. I got out about ten minutes later and dried off before wrapping my hair in a towel and getting dressed. I borrowed some of Ariel’s make up and put it on, feeling like my old self again.

I walked back into Ariel’s room to see her already dressed and sitting at her vanity, doing her hair.

“How’d you get done so fast?” I asked her, plopping on the bed.