Don't Get Drunk, Because You Will Kill Someone and Get Caught

Mike staggered in, face flushed and out of breath. He placed his hands on his knees to catch his breath, holding his finger up to give him a minute.

          “Mike?” I gasped. I didn’t expect him to be here and I didn’t know how he found out I was here or why he was here to begin with. Being surprised was all I could conjure up at the moment.

          “Can I help you, young man?” George demanded, “This better be important.”

          Mike straightened up and stepped inside, closing the door behind him. Scooter placed a hand on his shoulder as if to restrain him; because he and I both knew that he didn’t trust Mike one bit after I told him my suspicions about what happened to Toby.                

          Mike didn’t try to fight against my uncle; he just stood there, determination written on his face, but fear within his eyes. His hands were shaking slightly so he stuffed them in his pockets to get them to stop.

          I looked over at Alex who just looked confused to say the least. He was still rubbing his wrists slightly from when the handcuffs were on him. He met my gaze and scrunched his eyebrows together, showing he was just as confused as I was.

          “I said, can I help you?” George repeated.

          Mike squeezed his eyes shut tight and took a deep breath before opening them again. His face held a slight green color and I was worried that he was going to throw up at any moment.

          “I did it.” he blurted out. His eyes were now wide with fear. “I broke into his house,” he said, referring to Alex, “I was drunk. And I did it. And I’m sorry.”

          Even though I knew it was true, that I knew all along that he had hurt my brother, it still shocked me to actually hear him fess up to it. I didn’t think it was going to be that easy. My breath caught in my throat and I gripped the armrests I my hands, my knuckles growing white. My stomach started hurting and I had to take deep breaths to calm myself down. To restrain myself from pouncing on Mike and wrapping my hands around his throat.

          George sat up and looked over his glasses. “Excuse me?”

          Mike shut his eyes again. “I said I did it. I killed him.” The last words came out as a whisper but I still understood what he said. He had actually done it. He had actually killed Toby.

          I gritted my teeth and looked at Mike with so much hatred. Hatred that I didn’t even know was buried inside me. Hatred that I didn’t know what possible. I felt a hand gently lay on my arm, trying to get my attention. I ripped my arm away and jumped out of my chair, almost knocking it backwards. Mike looked at me like a deer caught in a headlight and Scooter just seemed shocked by my reaction.

          “How could you?” I said, enunciating each worth through clenched teeth.

          “How could you!” I repeated, shouting at the top of my lungs, this time lunging for Mike. I managed to drag my fingernails across his face before two arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back. I flailed my arms and starting kicking my legs to try to get free. I slipped from their grip once but they just caught me again.

          “Sapphire, it’s okay. You’re okay.” Alex’s voice filled my mind, calming me almost instantly.

          I hung my head while Alex held onto me. I heard Scooter sigh, followed by the jangle of metal. There was a click that sounded familiar. I looked up through the hair that had fallen in my face and saw Mike in handcuffs, his head hung in shame, willingly taken the punishment.

          Scooter placed a hand on Mike’s shoulder and steered him to the door. “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to an attorney-”

          “Wait!” Mike shouted just as they stepped into the hall.

          I looked intently at him, wondering what he could possibly have to say. He had killed my brother and that was that. He was guilty. End of story.

          “There’s something else you should know.” He said, eyes sliding over to me.      

          I waited expectantly, raising my eyebrows. Scooter looked impatient and George held the same expression on his face. Mike’s eyes never once left mine as he conjured up the nerve to say what was on his mind.

          “Get on with it!” Scooter pushed.

          Mike’s facial expression stayed the same. He opened his mouth to speak, and the words that came out of his mouth floated around in the air, haunting me. They held so many questions, so much wonder, and I had no idea what to do or what to think or what the heck it even meant.

          “That wasn’t Toby.”                                           

-----------------------

A/N- I don't even have any words for this chapter lol. What do you think Mike means by, "that wasn't Toby." ? TELL ME.