Answers

"What do you mean that wasn't Toby?" Scooter asked, since everyone else was basically frozen in their seats.

Mike took a deep breath. Scooter shuffled him back into the room and shut the door so no one that was lingering in the hall would hear. I sat in my seat, heart pounding. Barely breathing. I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up that my brother, the only person who has ever really truly loved and cared for me was out there somewhere.

"Toby told me once," Mike started, "that he wanted to go look for your birth parents. He wanted to see where they were and how their lives were and all that. He said he wanted to do it soon. Before you graduated, Sapphire." He said, making eye contact with me.

"So, I helped him out the best I could. I was there when he called the adoption agency that you guys were put into. I was there when he scheduled an appointment to go meet the people there so he could get all the information that he could and track them down." He sighed loudly then, which set me more on edge.

"What happened then?" George asked, still sitting behind his desk.

Mike looked up at me and continued, as if we were the only people in the room. "The agency is a good twenty-four hour drive from here. Its somewhere in New Jersey. He told me, 'Don't tell Sapphire I'm doing this. I don't want to get her hopes up.' I asked if you knew he was going away for a while and he said no."

"How long has he been gone?" I whispered.

He looked down at the floor and kicked his shoe across the tiles before answering me. "About a week."

"A week?" Scooter spoke up, "that's impossible, my nephew was murdered a couple of days ago."

"You're right. He was," Mike answered sadly, the words dripping with guilt "but that wasn't Toby."

"Then who was it?" George demanded.

"That was Dylan," Mike's gazed traveled up to me, "your brother, as well as Toby's."

I sat there, numb. Dark spots started clouding my vision and my breathing became shallow. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion as i tried to take in what Mike had just told us. Who was Dylan? I only have one brother and that's Toby. Now I'm being told that Toby had a twin that I didn't know about?

" Sapph?" Alex's ice cold hand laid gently on my arm, to make sure I was okay. I nodded slightly so Mike would go on with his story. I needed to know what happened.

"So Toby left to go to the agency," Mike continued as if nothing had happened, "he was gone for about a day or two before he called. I had let the apartment get messy and we all know Toby hates messes so I felt kind of bad about that. Anyways, he had called me and he said he had found out where your parents were staying and that he was on his way there now. They live in Massachusetts. He also said that he had found something else out and had met someone there. He found out that he had a twin brother named Dylan and that they got separated after you guys were taken from your parents. You guys were young when all that happened so of course neither one of you would remember him. Toby said he gave Dylan the address to our apartment and that he was on is way over to take his place while he was gone."

I let the information sink in before I opened my mouth. All eyes were on me and I felt like the room was closing in on me. "So when I thought I had lunch with Toby that one day-"

"That was Dylan." Mike finished for me.

My eyesight became blurry and before I knew it, I felt tears streaming down my face. They said a farewell to my eyes, caressed my nose, kissed my cheeks and kissed my lips.

The brother I didn't know I had was killed before I even got the chance to know him. My heart ached for him to be with me right now. The thought occurred to me though, that Toby was still out there. And the question arose as to why he killed Dylan. I was about to ask when Mike started talking again.

"I went out to our friends party one night. Dylan stayed back because he wasn't the party type. Which I was fine with. I got drunk. Drunker than usual. Our friend, Vic, lives close to the neighborhood that your friend Alex lives in. I left the party and was walking down the sidewalk, not knowing where I was. I saw that the gate to the neighborhood was open so I walked in. I picked a random house and broke into it. I found the gun and decided I should take it just incase. I didn't take anything else, I promise," he looked over at Alex to get his point across and then continued, "I found my way back home somehow and I stumbled inside. Dylan was there, trying to clean up a bit I guess. I don't remember much of what happened. Just some shouting going on and then I pulled the trigger." The last few words came out slowly and in a whisper but I knew what he had said. He killed my brother. That much was true.

"Sapphire, I can't tell you how sorry I am-" he choked before I cut him off.

"Toby. Where is he and does he know about this?" I demanded.

"He's supposed to come back tomorrow night. I'm guessing the story has gotten back to him. I've been too scared to contact him." I have to admit, seeing Mike this vulnerable amused me.

I clenched my jaw and my fists before answering him. "I don't want to see you ever again, do you understand me? You were my brother's best friend and you betrayed him in a way that I can't begin to try to explain to you. I think I speak for both of us when I say don't ever come near us again."

I looked up at my uncle who held a sympathetic yet strong expression on his face. I simply nodded and he escorted Mike out of the room and down the hall in handcuffs. Not too long afterwards, I looked out the window and watched and Mike was being put in the back of a police car and was driven away to be put behind bars. Scooter stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked at the ground, kicking around some rocks. I saw him take a deep breath before looking over in the general direction of where I was standing, looking out of the window. We made eye contact and he gave me a stiff nod before retreating inside.

I sank back into the chair and put my head in my hands, taking deep breaths to try to calm my racing heart. Toby was alive. He was coming home tomorrow night. All I had to do now was wait.

--------------------

A/N- I really have no excuse for not updating other than massive writers block and I'm REALLY REALLY sorry guys, I know you're probably annoyed and you have every right to be :\

But tell me your thoughts on this chapter!! This story is coming to an end soon, probably one or two more chapters. Thanks so for almost 32K reads!!! <3 love you guys! VOTE VOTE VOTE