There's More Than What Meets The Eye

A/N- heeeey (: well its been awhile since i last updated so here it is! i feel as though im losing readers on this story :( but i dont know, hopefully not! but if you like this story then become a fan, comment, or vote so i know to keep going with it, maybe? you'd be so cool if you did that! haha well anyways, ill shut up and you can read it now! but first, a picture of the evil Rita is on the side! i plan on putting a picture of a character in each chapter so yeah! haha je t'aime! love, me (:

-----------------------------------------------------------

I turned and stormed off in the opposite direction of my next class, leaving a confused Alex behind. I decided to give myself the rest of the day off. Ariel doesn’t ditch school so I can’t get a ride home from her. I sighed. Looks like I’m walking. The rain let up so it was just sprinkling now. I went to the opposite end of the school and out the back door. I had no idea where I was going but I didn’t want to be here right now. I don’t like talking about my birth parents. I know nothing about them so why should someone else? I made my way down the sidewalk and started walking toward where ever my feet carried me. I had no destination in mind. If I got desperate, I could always walk home. I’ve done it before. Besides, Rita was never home during the day and even if she was, she wouldn’t care. I turned the corner and made my way towards home. Honestly, I don’t really consider it a home. It’s not the happiest place in the world. It doesn’t make me feel safe or loved. Isn’t that what a home is supposed to provide?

A police siren made me jump about a foot in the air. I watched as it chased a van down the street at top speed and then disappear around the corner. I shook my head. That wasn’t the first police chase I’ve ever seen. Toby and I always got a kick out of watching police chases. Once, he pulled me out in the middle of the night and led us on a wild goose chase to watch one. It ended terribly. The car took a wrong turn and crashed into a poll. Toby and I hid behind a car down the street and watched as the ambulance came and took the driver away and the cops searched what they could of the car. We ran back home as quick as we could. As soon as we got in our room, Toby reenacted the whole thing for me as if I wasn’t there.

“Did you see that? That was awesome!” He exclaimed.

“No duh I saw it. I was there!” I laughed.

“That car was like crazy!” He jumped on the bed and made racecar noises followed by an explosion.

I fell back on the bed in a fit of laughter. I caught myself laughing in the middle of the street at the memory and looked around to make sure no one saw me. I quickened my pace and rounded the corner that lead to home. I walked up the front steps and grabbed my key from the small pocket from my bag. I was about to open the door when I felt something press against my legs. I looked down and saw the neighborhood cat begging for my attention. I’m not usually a cat person but a friend wouldn’t be so bad right now. I bent down and swooped him up in my arms and carried him inside. There was no sign of Rita yet so I had the place to myself for a while. I carried the cat to my room and set him down on the bed where he immediately curled into a ball and fell fast asleep. I sat down next to him and stroked his almost pure white fur. There were little black specks of dirt on him. I decided to give him a bath later to make him look better.

I picked him up and set him in my lap. “I’ll call you Casper.” I announced.

He purred in contentment and curled up in my lap. I scratched behind his ear, watching an almost smile creep on his face. I never thought of getting a pet. Since we always moved around I never saw the need to getting attached to an animal then having to leave it behind at possibly a moment’s notice.

I heard the creak of the door opening and jumped up to make sure it was Rita and not some murderer or something. I walked around the corner and saw Rita throwing her purse angrily on the counter in the kitchen. She threw the cigarette that she was smoking out the window and dazedly looked around. When she saw me, her eyes narrowed.