-𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍-

august eleventh, 2016berlin, germany

berlin, germany

"Hey, you wanna see something cool?" Tony asked as he walked into the conference room, gaining Steve's attention. "I pulled something from Dad's archives; felt timely. FDR signed the Lend Lease bill with these in 1941." Tony said as he put the pen case on the table. "Provided support to the Allies when they needed it most."

"Some would say it brought our country closer to war." Steve countered, looking from the case to Tony.

"See? If not for these, you wouldn't be here." Tony said with a small chuckle before he sat down. "I'm trying to—what do you call it? That's an olive branch. Is that what you call it?"

"Is Pepper here?" Steve asked as he looked toward the door. "I didn't see her."

"We're kinda—well, not kinda—" Tony started to try to explain.

"—pregnant?"

"No. Definitely not." Tony said with a shake of his head. "We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault."

"I'm so sorry, Tony." Steve apologized as he looked at the brunette. "I didn't know."

"Killian attacked and I almost lost her, so I trashed all my suits. Then we had to mop up Hydra and then Ultron; my fault." Tony said as he gestured to himself. "—and then and then and then Brooke and I never stopped; because the truth is we don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference." Tony admitted before he stood up. "In her defense—and yours!—Brooke and I are really a handful; yet Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and Mom always made it work."

"I'm glad Howard got married." Steve said as he looked at Tony, a small smile on his face. "I only knew him when he was young and single."

"Really? You two knew each other?" Tony asked sarcastically as he turned around to look at Steve. "He never mentioned that; maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you."

"I don't mean to make things difficult." Steve said as Tony put his jacket on.

"I know!—because you're a very polite person." Tony agreed as he gestured to the blonde.

"If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it." Steve said with a shake of his head. "Sometimes I wish I could."

"No, you don't."

Steve chuckled softly as he shook his head. "No, I don't. Sometimes—"

"—sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth, but I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Steve. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone if you sign." Tony said as he gestured to the pens. "We can make the last twenty four hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych center instead of a Wakandan prison."