-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓-

september seventh, 2008malibu, california

malibu, california

"Aunt B, can I get a hot fudge sundae?" Peter asked as the two walked into the ice cream shop.

Brooke nodded as she adjusted the strap of her purse. "Of course you can, buddy. Do you want peanuts on it?"

"No. Can we go get a present for Aunt Darlene when we're done?" Peter asked after they ordered.

"—for what, Pete?"

"Well, I'm getting a cousin, so I think we should give her something." Peter said before Brooke smiled.

"You are the sweetest little boy in the whole world."

While Brooke was out with Peter, Tony kept himself busy in the shop; that is until he saw a news report from Yinsen's village. Before even he knew it, the billionaire was in his suit and flying towards the small town. Rhodey was currently standing in the control room, trying to help figure out what the bogey appearing on the radar was.

"I'm gonna make a call." Rhodey said before he pulled out his phone.

"Hello?"

"Tony?"

"Who is this?" Tony asked as he flew towards the town.

"It's Rhodes."

"Sorry. Hello?"

"I said it's Rhodes." Rhodey repeated with a sigh.

"Speak up please."

"What the hell is that noise?" Rhodey asked with a confused look.

"I'm driving with the top down." Tony lied with a small shrug.

Rhodey sighed as he shook his head. "Yeah, well, I need your help right now."

"It's funny how that works, huh?" Tony said with a small chuckle.

"Yeah, speaking of funny, we got a weapons depot that was just blown up a few cliques from where you and Brooke were held captive." Rhodey said, glancing at the radar.

"Well, that's a hot spot." Tony cleared his throat before continuing, "sounds like someone stepped in and did your job for you."

"Why do you sound out of breath, Tony?" Rhodey asked, knowing Tony was lying.

"I was just jogging at the canyon." Tony said.

"I thought you were driving."

"Right. I was driving to the canyon where I'm gonna jog." Tony said with a nod.

"Are you sure you don't have any tech in that area I should know about?" Rhodey asked, making his best friend nod.

"Nope."

"Bogey spotted!"

"Okay, good because I'm staring at one right now and it's about to be blown to kingdom come." Rhodey said before he hung up.

"That's my exit." After getting off the phone with Rhodey and trying to dodge the bullets, Tony sighed before he decided to ask for help. "Call Brooke."

"Hey, it's Brooke. I can't answer the phone right now—" The recording started before Tony sighed.

"Damn it!"

"Hello?"

Tony sighed again before calling Rhodey. "Hi, Rhodey. It's me."

"It's who?"

"I'm sorry. It is me. You asked. What you were asking about is me." Tony explained.

"No, this isn't a game. You do not send civilian equipment into my active war zone. You understand that?" Rhodey asked after he shook his head.

"It's not a piece of equipment. I'm in it. It's a suit. It's me!" Tony said before he dodged another bullet.

"Rhodey, you got anything for me?" Rhodey looked at the General before sighing.

"Hey, Tony, are you still there?" Rhodey asked as he picked the phone up.

"Hey, thanks."

"Oh my God, you crazy son of a bitch! You owe me a plane, you know that, right?" Rhodey asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah, well, technically he hit me." Tony and Rhodey shared a laugh before the former continued. "Now are you gonna come by and see what Lynn and I are working on?"

"No, no. The less I know the better. Now what am I supposed to tell the press?" Rhodey asked before Tony shrugged.

"Training exercise. Isn't that the usual BS?"

"It's not that simple." Rhodey said with a chuckle.

"Hey! Ow!"

"It is a tight fit, sir. Sir, the more you struggle, the more this is going to hurt." Jarvis said as the machines tried to take the suit off of Tony.

"Be gentle. This is my first time. Brooke and I designed this to come off." Tony said with a grimace.

"Please try not to move." Jarvis said before Tony heard two coughs.

"What's going on here?"

Tony turned around, seeing Peter and the girls standing by the door. "Let's face it. This is not the worst thing you two have caught me doing."

Pepper rolled her eyes before noticing the bullet holes in her boss's suit. "Are those bullet holes?"

"—no. Hey, sis. I'll get started on your suit tonight." Tony said before Brooke smiled.

"Hell yeah."

"Where were you? Mi serviva che tu mi coprissi un po 'il culo, but you didn't answer." Tony said as he looked at his sister.

—kinda needed you to cover my ass a little bit, but you didn't answer.

"I was at a doctor's appointment with Darlene. Pete and I went for ice cream after. We're going shopping tomorrow for the nursery if you wanna come." Brooke offered with a shrug before she sat down.

"I'll be there."

Steve, as Brooke hacks into the Shield database to look at team assessments: that's cheating.

Brooke, shrugging: well, if it gets the job done.