-𝐓𝐄𝐍-

october first, 2008malibu, california

october first, 2008
malibu, california

"Iron Man. That's kinda catchy. It's got a nice ring to it. It's not technically accurate. The suit's a gold titanium alloy, but it's a kinda attractive name anyway." Tony said as Pepper and Brooke covered up his cuts and bruises while Peter sat on his lap and tried to read the newspaper with him.

Coulson walked over to the group, handing out a stack of notecards. "Here is your alibi."

"Okay."

Coulson watched as Tony flipped through the cards. "You were on your yacht. We have port papers that put you, your son, and your sister in Avalon all night and sworn statements from fifty of your guests."

"I was thinking maybe we should say it was just Pepper and me. Alone on the island." Tony said with a small smirk before Pepper and Brooke ripped bandaids off of his face and Peter looked at him.

Coulson shook his head at the billionaire, "that's what happened. Just read it word for word."

Brooke glanced over Tony's shoulder as she finished covering his bruises. "There's nothing about Stane there."

"That's been handled. He's on vacation. Small aircraft have such a poor safety record." Coulson said with a small shrug.

Tony glanced at Coulson before looking back at the cards. "What about the whole cover story that it's a bodyguard? He's our body—? That's kinda flimsy."

"This isn't my first rodeo, Mr. Stark. Just stick to the official statement and soon this will all be behind you. You've got ninety seconds." Coulson said before he turned to walk away.

"Agent Coulson." Pepper called, making the agent turn around. "I just wanted to say thank you very much for all of your help."

"That's what we do. You'll be hearing from us." Coulson said.

"From the Strategic Homeland—"

"Just call us Shield." Coulson said with a nod before he left.

"Right. Let's get this show on the road." Pepper said as Tony, Peter, and Brooke walked over to her.

"It's actually not that bad. Even I don't think I'm Iron Man." Tony said as Brooke did last minute touch ups.

Brooke chuckled as she fixed his hair. "You're not Iron Man."

"Yeah, I am."

"You're not."

"Suit yourself. If I were Iron Man, I'd have this girlfriend who knew my true identity." Tony said, Pepper moving to button his suit jacket while Brooke looked in the mirror. "She'd be a wreck. She'd always be worrying that I was gonna die and yet proud of the man I become. She'd be wildly conflicted, which would only make her more crazy about me. Tell me you never think about that night?"

"What night?"

"You know."

"Are you talking about the night that we danced and went up to the roof and then you went downstairs to get me a drink and you left me there by myself? Is that the night you're talking about?" Pepper asked, earning a small nod from Tony. "I thought so. Will that be all, Mr. Stark?"

"Yes, that'd be all, Ms. Potts." Tony said before he and Brooke headed for the door.

"Pete, stay with Pepper." Brooke called behind her.

"Now Mr. and Ms. Stark have prepared a statement. They will not be taking any questions. Thank you." Rhodey said before Brooke and Tony went on the stage.

"It's been a while since we were in front of you. I figure we'll stick to the cards this time." Tony said, earning laughs from the audience. "There's been speculation that my sister and I—especially me—were involved in the events that occured on the freeway and the rooftop—"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark, but do you honestly expect us to believe that that was a bodyguard in a suit that conveniently appeared despite the fact that—?" Christine started, Brooke rolling her eyes before interrupting.

"I know it's confusing. It's one thing to question the official story and another entirely to make wild accusations or insinuate that my brother or I are superheroes." Brooke said with a nod.

"I never said that you're superheroes."

"You didn't?" Tony questioned, earning a nod from Christine. "Well, good because that would be outlandish and fantastic. We're just not the hero types clearly. With this laundry lost of character defects and all the mistakes we've made largely in public."

Rhodey subtlety moves closer to the two, putting his hand on their backs to let them know he was there. "Just stick to the cards, man."

"Yeah."

"The truth is—I am Iron Man." Tony admitted before the press jumped up.

"Mr. Stark!"

"Ms. Stark!"

"Tony!"

"Over here!"

"Brooklyn, what's your superhero name?"

Brooke wore a small smirk as she and Tony headed for the door. "Phantom."

The next few months were surprisingly peaceful. With only a few major threats and a couple requests to appear at birthday parties, Tony and Brooke were able to focus on improving their suits; they were also able to help Darlene get ready for the baby.

"Ma'am, wake up. You have a missed text message." Jarvis said as Brooke sleepily rubbed her eyes.

"From who, J?"

"Ms. Thompson. She's informing you that she just went into labor." Jarvis said before a suddenly wide awake Brooke shot up.

"Shit. Tony! Tony, wake up! Hey! Get up!" Brooke said as she shook him after running to his room.

Tony groaned as he turned over and covered his eyes. "What time is it?"

"Time for you per ottenere il tuo culo pigro perché Darlene è in travaglio!" Brooke said before Tony sat up.

—to get your lazy ass up because Darlene's in labor!

"What? Perché non me l'hai detto prima?" Tony asked as he ran to his closet to get dressed.

Why didn't you tell me?

"Perché eri addormentato, stronzo! Sbrigati! Get Peter!" Brooke said before she went to get dressed.

Because you were asleep, asshole! Hurry up!

"Are you ready?" Tony asked after he and a sleepy Peter met Brooke in the hallway.

"Yeah. I had Jarvis let Dar know that we're on the way." Brooke said as they headed for the stairs.

"Okay. Jarvis, we'll be back soon." Tony said as they walked downstairs.

"Yes s—"

"I am Iron Man. I am Phantom." Nick Fury looked out at the Malibu ocean before turning around. "You think you're the only superheroes in the world? Mr. Stark, Ms. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."

"Who the hell are you?"

"Nick Fury, Director of Shield. I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative." Fury said before the siblings looked at each other.

"Is this gonna take long? Because our best friend is in labor right now."

Tony and Brooklyn Stark will return in Iron Man 2.