Chapter 16 - Twenty Questions Game

"That sounds great," he says. "But is there any reason for you to want to play?"

  I shake my head, hopping my expression doesn't betray me. "No, I just want to know you better. Because well... I knew you while you were the human Dominic back in the USA, but you aren't exactly human and well I know nothing about you, about the real Dominic."

  He smiles a little and comes to me, pushing me against his chest, hugging me and kissing my forehead. "I am so sorry I lied to you. I had no idea what I could have done. I am so sorry."

  "It's okay," I whisper, wanting to keep him here, our bodies this close to each other, my head on his chest. But I can't. I can't because I don't know if I an hugging a monster or not and I need to find out first.

  I step back, breaking our embrace, trying to ignore the strong desire of returning to that hug that borns with that action.

  "Let's start?" I ask, pushing him towards the bed and sitting there. He sits near me, his leg touching mine. "Each one makes one question an the other needs to answer honestly."

  He smiles, playfully. "I swear I'll never lie." And I just hope he is saying the truth.

  "You start?" I suggest.

  "Alright. What's your biggest fear?"

  That you are the monster Danton said. "Spiders. I hate spiders."

  "Really?" he asks, sounding surprised. "They can be quite cute, you know?"

  "A creature with eight legs clearly disproportionate to its small body can never be considered cute. And those who have legs with a right length have far too many eyes to be cute."

  He laughs. "I guess I already know what I'll give you in your birthday."

  "Don't you dare!" I scream and he laughs even harder. And seeing him laughing right now, makes me wonder why I am doing this, why I am letting the words of someone I don't even know influence what I think, what I believe.

  "Don't make that face. I promise I won't give you a spider in your birthday!"

  "I hope you don't!" I reply, forcing a smile. "My turn! How many people have you already killed?"

  He seems surprised. And I would also be surprised if I were him. Out of all things I could ask him, I am wanting to force him to admit he is an assassin. A monster.

  "Do you really want to know?"

  "Is that a question?" I ask, playfully, trying to hide how anxious his refuse to answer is making me.

  He titles his head, smiling at me. "No, not really. I already know the answer." He sighs, his smile dying. "Five hundred and fifty three people if you consider vampires as people." And if I not? How many humans did he kill? Five hundred and fifty three people. He knows the exact number. What does it mean? That he feels guilty and is unable to forget or does it just show he is a psycho? "If you don't," he continues, "then I didn't kill any."

  "Five hundred," I whisper, unable to stop myself. No matter if they are vampire or human, how could he kill more than five hundred people and being here as if it was okay?