Chapter 10 - Dearly Beloved

Start from the beginning

"Yeah....Eddie bet me you'd say exactly that. But I had to try. If you change your mind we'll always be here. And if things get tough financially? You're to let me know as well."

"Thank you, but there's no problem at all on that front. I've managed to save heaps over the last year. That along with the other funds will see me through for another eighteen months at least. Even more, if I'm careful with my budget."

"Well, I better freshen up and change. I won't be home until around ten....you sure that won't be too late?"

I have to get away quickly.

Because the lump in my throat is threatening to become a tear-filled sob, as I think of all the loving friends I have. And how selfless they've all been. Not just in the last couple of months but since the very first.

Don't know what I've done to deserve them. Especially Clive.

Who'd been going through his own hell....yet still put his employee's welfare before his own.

***

"Fin, I'm sorry sweetheart....I should've taken you into my confidence earlier. A lot's been going on in the last few weeks. I've called a staff meeting at four PM, but I wanted to talk to you first."

"I've....I've sold the company. Just came back from their offices, signed all the documents this morning."

Whatever I was expecting to come out of his mouth? It sure as hell wasn't this!

His hand ran down his face and I reached up to grab it. Held it tight in both of mine, to try and stop the tremors that are passing from his skin to my own.

"Hey....hey....it's alright. How about we just sit here for a little while, huh? Then, when you're ready you can tell me what happened. And we'll talk about it. Until then....don't say another thing and don't think."

"Just close your eyes, breathe and sit....Ok?"

Lacing my fingers around his I used my other hand to rub his arm slowly. Started humming softly without even being aware of it. While he took a deep breath and did exactly what I asked.

Five minutes later he started talking.

I knew his wife Mary had MS. Witness her decline every time I go over to their condo for dinner. Just had no idea it's gotten so bad and my heart clenched in pain for them both.

No wonder he's been so drawn and off-kilter lately.

"I want to care for her myself, move to our house in Southampton and out of the city. The Doctors said the fresh air and open space will help."

"I can't do all that and keep up with the business as well. Plus our boys have their own careers....don't want to take over. I thought of getting a manager in, but even then I'll still have the worry."

"The Holman Group made an approach before, but I wasn't looking to sell then. When they saw the software we've been putting out to the market recently? They started making some serious overtures again....almost doubling the original offer."

"But there's going to be redundancies and....you're one of them sweetheart."

"I'm sorry, Fin....I had to do the right thing and sell. I had to! "  His voice was cracking, and the shakes started again.

"Of course you did, you silly duffer! No one and I mean no one  who knows you will dare think otherwise or blame you for it. But that's not even remotely important right now. You and Mary are!"

"What can I do to help in the meantime? I'll make extra food when I cook for Unc. Or maybe...."

Clive looked at me as if I'm certifiable.