Chapter 24 - With This Ring, I Thee Wed

NORMAN

"Such a beautiful sunset here in Vegas tonight. And for me an incredible gift. To be asked to officiate at the wedding of our absurdly adored friend. The happy couple would like you to know how honoured they are. That you all came to witness such an historic event."

"But first? Norman would like me to read out a brief statement....to his lovely bride-to-be."

Fin's head didn't move an inch, yet her eyes slid sideways to peer at me.

I tried to look back, honestly! But all I can do instead is stare attentively at my shoelaces. After a quick glance to make sure my fly is done up.

"My dearest, darling, sweetheart, snookum's, honeybunch Skip...."

"I knew it! Smoke and mirrors....too bloody good to be true"  Fin growled softly.

"Thank you with all my heart. For letting me be the one to organise our wedding, the vows and all that. You shouldn't have. Honestly....you really shouldn't have!"

"Didn't give you much choice, did I. But I'm so very sorry."

"In my defence? I just want to say that....you should feckin know by now what happens when I'm left to my own devices! My little divils made me do it. Well, them and Mingus. Especially Mingus. And Unc, Ed's, Win, Meek, Seth, Paul, Hel, Sean, Josh, Court, Andy, Mel...."

"DAAAAD!  You ratfink snitch!"  Ming thumped my arm.

"PS. You're breathtaking. And that wedding dress makes your ass look like....Ok folks....let's get on with the show then shall we?"

I love it when her hair is all tumbling down like it is now. All shiny and natural, unlike mine. And just the tiniest hint of makeup? Any more would ruin the way her face just sort of glows....in exasperation  🤣

Oh ummmm, I'm talking about Fin here by the way. And not Stef....Lady Gaga I mean.

Her dress is snug and short. Not as short as the one I butchered, but enough that granny pants will never be an option.

Lucky me!

And it has an overlay of special lace. If you look at it really carefully you can just discern the kangaroos and koalas entwined in gum leaves.

Ed did an awesome job in making it with such short notice. But then I know he and the big fella totally adore my Skip. Would move mountains to make her....our....big day special.

Seeing her walk towards me on Win's arm?

Not ashamed to admit this, but I kinda feel like crying. Not just because she looks....she looks so damned beautiful and hell sexy with those long legs.

Mostly it's because she's still here with me....for me and Ming I mean. And I'm not even the tiniest bit panicky either, even after my disclaimer was read out.

No need for my special code word today, that's for sure!  😁

*

"And now we come to one of my favourite parts of our celebration. Most couples call them affirmations, but I prefer to go with 'What I like about you'. Norm, care to do yours first?"

I jump a bit, forgetting where I am for a second. Then I smirk at Fin.

The smile I get in return scares the bejeezus outta me. Might have to reconsider those 'Bunyips'  after all....?

"I love it when you hum to me, Skip. You can hum up a storm, but you can't sing for shit. Even when I tell you that, repeatedly I might add....you never let it stop you. From singing I mean."