Chapter 25 - Goodbye, Old Friend

A numbness fills everything as I drive the car through the streets in New York, them being much more full than they have been in the past five years. People reunite in the streets, cries of joy filling the city at the return of all those we lost.

I want to join in with their celebrations, but the overwhelming grief of losing the  person I've been closest too in the last five years makes it difficult. But instead of wallowing in that grief, I decided I needed to do something for myself.

I pull the car up out front of the old building that I haven't looked at in years. The thought of it would bring back painful memories, but now it brings with it a sense of hope. Peter and I climb out of the car, me locking it as we walk into it. Old memories of him walking me to and from school come to mind and I smile sweetly. He looks at me knowingly and he reaches over, taking my hand in his.

We get into the lift and ascend to our old familiar floor. It soon stops and opens up, revealing the level we used to live on. It looks exactly the same, except it's buzzing with more life. I walk to the door, my heart skipping nervously. Peter squeezes my hand reassuringly and I reach up, knocking on it. I hear a bustling behind the door before it opens up, revealing two shocked faces.

I let go of Peter's hand and rush forward, wrapping my arms around them both and letting out tears of joy. They both hug me back tightly and the voice of my foster father reaches my ears, "Lexi?"

"You're here!" Vanessa cries out, holding me tightly before they both pull back, their eyes confused, "What happened? You look so grown up."

"Peter?" Another voice chimes in from behind.

I pull back and look over their shoulders, seeing Aunt May sitting on the couch. She rises up and runs for her nephew, the both of them hugging tightly. I smile when my head is turned back to look at my fosters parents.

"What's going on?" Mark questions.

Peter and May pull apart and she nods her head, "Yes, what is going on?"

Peter and I exchange a look before I clear my throat and gesture to the couch, "You guys should take a seat. It's uh, kind of a long story."

They look at me in concern before doing as I say, taking a seat on the couch. Peter and I walk over, taking a spot on the coffee table so that they all can see us. Peter and I talked about this before we came over and decided that it was time to come clean with them.

Clearing my throat and rubbing my hands over my legs nervously, I look between them all, trying to find the best place to start. Sensing my discomfort, Peter reaches over and takes my hand, squeezing it for support.

Taking in a deep breath, I look between the three of them, "Okay. This is going to be hard to hear, but you're gonna have to just hear me out. It's been five years since 'the Snap.'"

Mark's brows furrow, "What do you mean it's been five years? What is 'the Snap?'"

Peter speaks up for me this time, "Do you remember people suddenly turning to ash around you all?"

"Yes, it was horrible." Vanessa whispers and I nod my head, my eyes watering, "It was. Half of the universe was wiped out, Earth and other galaxies being reduced to dust. That was due to a man named Thanos, an alien from a planet named Titan. He sought out these things called infinity stones, which are gems that hold infinite power. Gathering all six, he generated enough power to commit universal wide genocide."

I swallow and let out a shaky breath as I look between them all, "Everyone in this room but me fell victim to this act. That was five years ago, which is why I look older."