Chapter 18 - The Garden

Nebula, Tony and I watch as we descend into the Earth's atmosphere, something we never thought we would see again. At first glance, it looks like nothing has changed. But we all know the harsh reality of what we fill find. The woman, Carol, holds our spaceship and flies through the sky us until I see the familiar sight of the Avengers compound.

She sets us down on the grass and Nebula comes between the two of us, wrapping our arms around her shoulder and waist. We start to descend the steps of the ship when a couple of familiar faces come running forward. Natasha helps steady me from Nebula, "Hey there, Lexi. It's okay, we got you."

I lean into her for support as Steve takes on the burden of Tony's weight. Tony clutches onto Steve before looking up and meeting his eyes, "I couldn't stop him."

Steve nods his head just as despondently, "Neither could I."

Tony holds his hand up to stops us from moving and his eyes rest on me sadly before looking back to them, "I lost the kid."

I close my eyes, slumping against Natasha and she wraps her arms around me, "I'm so sorry."

"Tony we lost..." Steve trails off and I know that it can't be good.

"Is um...?" Tony begins when another familiar face appears at Steve's side. Pepper looks on at Tony in complete shock and relief, "Oh my God!"

She reaches over pulls him into a hug, Tony hands clutching at her in relief. I can't help but look on at them with jealousy. He gets to keep the love of his life, but I'm stuck here with nothing. Steve turns to me with a concerned expression and I give him a weak smile, "You should see the other guy."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony's tech displays information of everything that's happened since what they deemed 'The Snap'. There's a display of the Earth's population count, along with other levels. The face's of our fallen friends and family flash across the screen, reminding us of our failure.

"It's been twenty three days since Thanos came to Earth." Colonel Rhodes states, his arms folded over his chest as he looks to the screens.

"World governments are in pieces. The party's that are still working are trying to take a census and..." Nat's voice trails off.

Peter's face appears before me and my breath hitches, tears filling my eyes as I look at his perfect face. I feel a hand reach over and take mine, giving it a light squeeze and I already know that it is Tony.

"It looks like he did... He did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent of all living creatures." She finishes in a sorrowful tone. 

I look away from the screen, unable to take it anymore as Tony's voice questions, "Where is he now?"

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through." Steve explains.

Tony sighs before turning and pointing to Thor, who's sits in the corner sulking in a sweatshirt and tracksuit pants, "What's wrong with him?"

"Oh he's pissed. He thinks he failed." A voice appears from down below.

My eyes widen in shock as I look at the raccoon that just spoke, the prospect of a talking animal blowing my mind. The raccoon continues, "Which of course he did, but you know there's a lot of that going around, with there?"