Chapter 19 - Five Years Later

The car speeds down the highway through the night time sky, the stars up above on bright display. In the last five years I've seen more stars than I have ever in my life. With a much smaller populace, that means there are less lights in the city. But then again, a lot has changed in the last five years.

After we came back to Earth, we all had to figure out what to do with ourselves. Carol went back to helping others in the universe, while Bruce went off to work on himself. Thor went with the rest of the Asgardians and created their own township off in Norway, keeping to themselves peacefully. Rocket and Nebula went back into space, while Rhodey went to help the government rebuild itself. Nat has stayed at Avengers HQ to help run things smoothly, while Steve is off trying to help others restart their lives after the mass loss we all suffered.

Tony and Pepper took me under their wing, providing me with a roof over my head and a family to love me. They decided they didn't want to wait to get married, so they got married in a civil ceremony with the rest of us present. One year later, they were welcoming their little girl into the world.

I threw myself back into my study, getting the best grades I could which earn't me a full ride scholarship to both Harvard and MIT. Instead of choosing one, I'm doing a double degree in Aerospace Engineering as at Harvard, well as Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT. I'm currently in my third year of study and am enjoying every minute of it.

I've just finished my mid terms early, and am heading home to surprise, Tony, Pepper and Morgan. It's been three months since I've seen them and I miss them so much. They were really there for me after everything that happened, they instilled a sense of purpose in me once more, a drive to make use of the life I have been given. Everything I do is to make them proud. And deep down I know that both Mark and Vanessa, along with my own parents, would be proud of me too.

My phone begins to buzz and the display on the screen shows Tony's contact details. I smile and reach over, answering the call, "Hey you."

"Hey kid, Morgan wanted to say hi." Tony states before an excited little four year old calls out over the phone, "Hi Lexi!"

"Heya kiddo, how're you?" I ask, my heart warming up as a bright smile covers my lips. I love this kid with everything I have. She's so bright and vibrant, something all of us needed after the loss we all suffered.

"I'm good. I got to go swimming today." She states and I let out a faux gasp, "You did? How far can you swim now!"

"All the way across the lake!" She exclaims and I can't help but chuckle as Tony clarifies, "Not quite. But around twenty feet in and back."

"Look at you go, Morgan. I'm proud of you." I state, making a turn down the familiar road.

"So what're up to? You sound a little distracted." Tony states and I nod my head, "Yeah, sorry. I'm in the car at the moment."

The car pulls down the first path and I see the lights on in the house up ahead, the house that has become a home to me these past four years. I have a lot of fond memories of this place, it's where I feel most safest in the world. Like nothing can touch me while I'm there.

"Where are you driving too at this time of night?" He questions, a protectiveness in his voice that has never quite gone away, despite the fact that I'm turning twenty in a month.

"Oh I don't know, I figured I'd come in and say hi." I state and Tony's shocked voice comes over the speaker, "What?"

"Look out your window." I instruct before hanging up.

I pull the car up out front of the house and beep the horn, turning the engine off when the door opens. A little figure comes running out the door and down the steps, "Lexi!"