Chapter 2 - Stark Internship

As I finish getting ready for school, I watch the latest YouTube video uploaded to the Spider-Man channel. He is stopping an armed robbery from occurring at a corner store ten blocks away from where we live.

Since the appearance of Iron Man all those years ago, so many more super powered people have turned up. A few I've met in my time in New York, not that I've told anyone that. And I'm not gonna lie, Spider-Man is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. He turned up around five months ago and has grown wildly popular around New York City.

Checking the time and seeing I'm running late, I quickly shut my laptop and rush out the door. Mark is still here, but Vanessa has already left for work, which means I'm really running late.

"You're not gonna make it." Mark teases me and I yell out the door as I grab an apple, "Watch me!"

I dash out the door and see the lift doors closing ahead, "Hey, hold the lift!"

There's a burning in my leg from pushing it too far, but I can not afford to be late for school. The doors slide open and I see Peter grinning at me smugly. I jump in and lean against the lift, catching my breath. Man, I'm incredibly unfit.

"Look whose the one running late now?" He teases and I roll my eyes, "Whatever Parker."

"Oh no, no, no. You're the one who says, 'Late nights should never be an excuse for running late.'" He says, doing a terrible impression of me.

"A, I don't sound like that and B, I didn't have a late night. I was caught up watching a video on YouTube." I counted as the lift reaches the ground floor.

"Oh yeah, and what was that?" Peter asks, holding the door to the building open for me.

"Nothing..." I murmur, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"Oh, come on. You have to tell me." He says, taking in the heat on my cheeks. Damn my blushing for always giving me away.

"Come on, tell me. Tell me. Tell me!" He insists and I cry out, "Alright! Fine I was watching a video from Spider-Man okay?"

"Oh really?" He asks, a hint of something in his voice.

"Yes, really. I don't know, I just am kinda in awe of him." I state and he raises his eyebrows, not saying a word. I sigh as we cross the street to the subway, "Look, when you have a bit of a walking issue like me, seeing the amazing things everyone else can do is so inspiring. I mean sure, he's not an avenger, but he's still pretty badass. I don't know, I wish I was half as cool as he is."

His eyes soften at my words, maybe a hint of adoration in them, but I can't be sure. He clears his throat as we descend the steps to the subway, "Don't say that, you're pretty cool. I mean, you got the Stark internship."

"I sure did." I state, smiling brightly. I see our train already there, the last few people getting on. We rush onto it just as the doors close and I catch my breath again, reinforcing how unfit I am.

"So, how is it going?" He asks and I can't help but beam with pride, "Tony Stark is without a doubt the most amazing person I've ever met."

"Wow, way to beat a guy when he's down." Peter jests and I chuckle, "It's been a crazy few weeks. Normally with the internship, you don't really get to interact that much with Mr Stark. You normally get stuck with one of the other scientists. However he has taken me on personally."