Chapter 3 - Suit Up, Kids

Music blares through my ear phones as I make my way to train station. It's been two weeks since I found out Peter's secret, and I have no idea what to do about it. It's been plaguing my brain every moment that I'm awake. I mean, there's a reason it's called a secret identity. He wouldn't want anyone to know he's Spider-Man. I get it, I'm not exactly vocal about my own secrets.

But now that I know this, I've been avoiding him like the plague. How the hell am I supposed to pretend that I don't know his big life changing secret? If he wanted me to know, he would have told me. So I've figured it's best to just avoid him so I don't give it away. Even if it means I miss his friendship in the mean time.

It's an earlier train, which means I'll get lost in the crowd of Mid Town High School before Peter even gets out of the apartment building. Mark and Vanessa have questioned my early attendance, but I've simply told them I have a group assessment that meets before school. They bought it easily enough. I just hate that I have to lie to them.

The train ride is smooth, but it means that I have an extra twenty minutes to spare than when I normally arrive. So I spend my time in the library, catching up on some real homework and readings. Pulling out my book for English, I pick up from a scene in Macbeth.

It doesn't take long before the time checks out for me to head to home room, with enough time to make a quick stop on the way. Pulling out my headphones, I weave my way through the students to the my locker. Thank god Peter's locker is on the other side of school.

Opening up my locker, I grab my text books for the first few periods and shove them into my book bag. My leg aches slightly and I sigh, knowing I shouldn't have run to the station on the off chance Peter decided to come out early. He never does, but I still do it anyway. Well good on you Lexi, now you gotta walk around like an eighty nine year old grandma.

Reaching into my back pack, I grab out my trusty stow away cane and assemble it up. Leaning on it gives my leg a welcome relief, but earns the stares of those around me. Ain't high school a bitch?

Closing my locker, I let out a gasp as my eyes widen at the person leaning against the locker next to mine. Peter looks at me expectantly, his arms folded across his chest with his feet crossed over.

"Well of course your leg hurts with all that running you've been doing from me lately." He murmurs, his eyes calculating.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I counter, turning and making my way towards home room. Home room that he is in unfortunately.

"You want to tell me why you're acting so weird?" He questions, keeping easy pace with me. Which I mean of course he can, he's used to swinging through the air by web, so walking would be a breeze.

"Me? Acting weird? Never." I state sarcastically and he rolls his eyes, "You forget I know you Lexi. You've been living down the hall from me for the last four years and been my friend that whole time. We've always caught the train together every morning and afternoon for school. Then suddenly two weeks ago, I haven't seen you other than from a distance in these hallways. So yes, you've been acting weird."

I chuckle and shake my head, "Peter, you're paranoid. I've had to come in early for school for a project I'm working on. And if you haven't noticed, I'm incredibly busy with my internship."

"Yeah, I heard about the Sokovia Accords and how there's gonna be this big meeting with the leaders of the world." He states and I nod my head, going along with the lie effortlessly, "Exactly, so I've been helping Mr Stark out as much as I can with it."