Chapter 5 - Two Months Later

My eyes are drooping as I gather up all of my stuff in my book bag and backpack. I now have to carry twice what I would normally carry due to my internship. I'm doing really well, Tony and I working on a few different projects together. Some nights I don't get home till like ten o'clock, much to the chagrin of Mark and Vanessa.

But being so busy also means that I have to try and squeeze my homework and assignments in during school times. So I come in early to school now and try to fit in as much work as I can. Then during lunch, I try to fit in my time hanging out with MJ but it's been getting harder and harder.

Things with Peter are... I don't know, I guess a little tense. He keeps asking me about Tony all the time, about what we are working on, if there's any missions he can help with. I keep telling him no, and to quit asking me about it. We aren't as close anymore because I am too busy to catch the train with him in the mornings and afternoons and he keeps throwing himself into his after school 'activities' as Spider-Man.

I miss him.

"Hey!" A familiar voice calls out as they grab my shoulders.

I scream out and turn, seeing MJ standing there. I narrow my eyes at her and frown, "Jesus, MJ!"

"He won't help you." She murmurs and I roll my eyes, standing up and slipping my bags over my shoulder.

"What was on the agenda this morning?" He asks, gesturing to my multiple bags and I sigh, "Chemistry and Biology homework, Algebra test studying with just a touch of the English reading."

"You're a nutcase, how are you not driving yourself crazy?" She asks as we walk out of the hallway, going towards our home room before the bell rings.

"I don't know. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm constantly tired. But I love what I'm doing at the internship, so it makes it all worth it." I state, a smile coming to my lips.

"I'm proud of you, Lex." She states and I beam at her, "Aww, MJ."

"You're a badass, and I'm glad to have you as my best and only friend." She states, throwing her arm around my shoulder.

I wrap my free arm around her waist and hug her tightly, closing my eyes briefly. I soon pull away and open my eyes, freezing in the spot at the sight before me. Up ahead stand Peter and Ned, their eyes trailed on Liz as she walks by. I can't help the wave of irrational jealousy that comes over me.

I don't know, I guess after Berlin I thought that Peter and I would be a lot closer. But life has just kept getting in the way and we've grown apart. My heart aches a little and MJ grabs my arm, dragging me away with a sympathetic smile, "Come on, let's go."

My eyes linger on him for a moment longer before I turn and walk off with my best friend, distracting myself in my classes for the day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk into the cafeteria, having not spent that much time here in the past two months. But I have a little bit of time and I want to make sure I spend it with MJ. I've been feeling really guilty about not being able to spend more time with her lately. So I figured I'd use my spare fifteen minutes with her before I need go to the library.

I spot her over at our usual table, with Peter and Ned sitting a few seats away. My heart skips a beat, but I ignore it and walk over. As I approach, I notice the boys staring off lovingly in the distance. My eyes follow their gaze and I see Liz standing up on a ladder, hanging the banner to remind people about homecoming.