Chapter 17 - In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream

My head aches, my eyes are swollen and I feel like I could sleep for the rest of eternity. I don't know how long we've been sitting here, but it's most definitely been hours. Tony has held me the whole time, him crying just as much as I have been. He feels the loss that I feel, the failure to protect the ones we love. We let Thanos get away, and now trillions are dead because of it.

The blue woman who arrived during the fight sits not too far away from us, her head resting in her hands as she grieves. She hasn't really said a word since everyone disappeared, but she doesn't need too. Because we know exactly how she is feeling.

Tony sniffles and sits up, moving his head away from mine, "We should get moving, it's not safe to stay here."

"Thanos won't come back." The woman states and I feel Tony turn to her, "Even if that's the case, we have to get back home, to see what we can do."

"Half of your world has been wiped from existence, along with the rest of the universe. All you're going to find is chaos and confusion." The blue woman counters, but Tony argues, "It's better than us sitting here and wallowing in grief. We have to go back to at least see what's left."

"What's the point?" I whisper, my voice croaky from not speaking for so long.

"Lexi, we cant just give up." He states and I shake my head, feeling numb to my core, "Why? Everyone I love dies. My parents, Mark and Vanessa are most likely gone, MJ, Ned... And Peter..."

The overwhelming feeling of grief comes crashing over me and I close my eyes, the tears continuing to fall down my cheeks. The likelihood of the people I love having survived this event is dismal. So what's the point in heading back to nothing?

Tony takes my face in his hands and turns me to meet his eyes, "Lexi, I know how much pain you are in. But you got to keep going. Peter may be gone, but we don't know whose left on Earth. People need answers, because they're just as confused as we are."

I don't say anything and he tilts his head, "And I need you to be strong for me. Because otherwise I won't be able to do this. You're all I've got, kid. And I'll be damned to lose another person I love to that asshole."

My eyes search his, knowing that on some level he is right. Even though I want to just curl up into a ball here and turn into dust as well, I gotta at least try. Because the people I love may still be alive, and that's the hope I gotta hold on too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulling together what little food the guardians had, I make us a pretty sad looking dinner. After deciding to leave Titan, Tony, Nebula and I worked together to get the ship back into running order as best we could by reversing the ion charge. During the battle, the fuel cells were cracked meaning we could only give ourselves two day's worth of travel before the fuel ran out. That was two days ago.

Now it's just a waiting game, waiting for our time to die. When I pictured it, I never thought it would be like this. I thought I'd be old, surrounded by those I love. Not trapped in a tin can floating in out of space with limited amounts of food and air supply.

Grabbing out the warmed up food, I make my way out to the main room of the ship. Tony and Nebula sit at the table and I walk over, putting the food down in front of them. Tony lifts it to his nose and takes a sniff, his face contorting in disgust, "What the hell is this?"

I shrug my shoulders as I take a seat down beside them, "Don't know, but I found it in the fridge."

"It's Borin, the intestines of a space bison." Nebula pipes up, causing my face to screw up in disgust too as she continues, "It was Rocket's favourite food."