Chapter 9 - Go, Spidey, Go

Everywhere I look, there is Spider-Man. Posters on the wall, social media posts or the school news. The school has a bad case of Spider-Man fever. Everyone can't stop talking about what happened to us in the elevator. That and the kiss I shared with a certain masked hero. Girls keep coming up to me and asking what it was like, but I ignore them.

I've been avoiding Peter all weekend, not once coming out of the apartment or answering the knocks on my window in the middle of the night. I can't bring myself to talk to him out of embarrassment and fear of what he will say to me.

I've been pretty successful, having eaten my lunch in the library and sitting far away from him in the classroom. I'm almost in the home stretch when I hear the familiar voice call out to me as I descend the front steps, "Lexi!"

My eyes widen and I push myself to walk faster, but soon jogging footsteps reach my side, "Lexi, wait."

"Can't, I gotta go." I state, quickly, avoiding his eyes.

He steps in front of me and I bump into his chest, his hands catching my arms. People walk past and one boy calls out to me, "Spider-Man won't be happy to see you with Parker."

I grit my teeth as my cheeks flush a deep crimson, and I just want the ground to swallow me whole. Stupid Lexi.

I step away from Peter and go to walk around him, when he steps in front of me again, "Lexi, I need to talk to you."

"Look, I didn't mean it okay?" I lie, finally meeting his eyes. He looks taken aback for a split moment before his eyes harden, "Okay."

"I thought I was going to die and then you saved me. I was running on adrenaline and I just did it. I'm sorry if it made you uncomfortable." I apologise.

He doesn't say anything for a moment before pulling together a tight smile, "It's okay. Don't mention it."

"Okay." I state, letting out a breath, though my heart aches at how callous he is about it. After all, it was my first kiss and I'm pretty sure it was his too. Stupid Lexi.

Peter clears his throat, "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about the guy with the wings."

"Oh yeah?" I ask as we begin to walk to the train station.

He nods his head, "Yeah. So I found out they're stealing all this tech from the D.O.D.C and that's how they're making their weapons. I got trapped in the there after getting into a fight with the guy with the wings. That's why I missed the decathalon."

"Thank god, I was worried you had died." I state as we cross the road.

"Anyway, I want to take down this guy. To prove to Mr Stark that I can do this, that I can be an Avenger." He states.

"Peter..." I sigh, but he continues on, "You've helped me this far already. And you've already got the suit. So what do you say, will you help me?"

"We should really talk to Tony about this. I hate lying to him." I state, but he shakes his head, "No, no, no. I know we can do this Lexi. You and me. What do you say?"

His eyes are looking as they look deep into mine, giving me that damned look that makes me bend my will. It would be safer for him to have back up.

"Fine." I mutter and he grins broadly, "You're the best."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm standing in my room, looking at myself in the mirror in my new suit. Tony developed it for me in case I ever needed one, seeing as I was only wearing jeans and a hoodie while fighting with Captain America.