Chapter 23 - The Snap 2.0

My teeth nibble at my lip as Bruce, Rocket, Tony and I work together to create a gauntlet sustainable enough to hold all six of the infinity stone. Tony uses one of the gloves from his spare suit, modifying it to become stronger. It takes a day, but we all soon achieve it. Which means this is the moment we have all waited for.

We are all gathered in the lab, all pairs of eyes locked in the glove that sits on its stand. My heart pounds in my chest, us being so incredibly close to pulling this off. Rocket looks between us all, "Okay, the glove is ready. Question is whose gonna snap their fingers?"

Everyone remains quiet, a nervousness coming through the room. I clear my throat and step forward, "I'll do it."

"No. Not happening." Tony says instantly and Steve shakes his head, "No Lexi."

"It'll kill you." Clint states, a protectiveness in his voice.

"On Titan, I touched the gauntlet when it had four of the stones, I've felt it's power and it didn't kill me." I argue, but Tony cuts me off, "That was different. This is all six, and you guys saw how it destroyed Thanos. I can't risk you dying for this."

"You can't, but I can. I want to be the one to do it." I argue, straightening up.

"I'll do it. It's okay." Thor says, placing a hand on my shoulder before walking forward. Steve shakes his head as he takes in a wobbly Thor, "No."

We all hold our hands out to stop him, Steve speaking up, "Thor, just wait. We haven't decided whose gonna out that on yet."

"I'm sorry, we're all just sitting around, waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor asks incredulously, looking at us all with wild eyes.

"We should at least discuss it." Scott argues, but Thor doesn't have a bar of it, "Look, us all sitting here staring at the thing is not gonna bring anybody back. I am the strongest avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls on me."

Tony walks forward as Thor gets choked up, "It's my duty."

Tony tries to stop him, but Thor growls and knocks his hand away, "Just stop it! Just let me!"

His fingertips grasp at Tony's shirt and as he whispers with tears in his eyes, "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

"Buddy, it's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent, I'm telling you. You're in no condition." Tony states kindly, but Thor chuckles, "What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?"

"Cheese Whiz." Rhodes mutters, causing Thor to frown and point at him before turning back to Tony, "Lightening."

"Yeah." Tony murmurs, but it's Bruce's voice that fills the room, "Lightening won't help you pal."

He walks over to glove, looking at it with heavy eyes, "It's gotta be me. You saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"How do we know that you will?" I question and he gives me a weak smile, "We don't. But the radiation is mostly gamma. It's like uh... I was made for this."

He picks it up and Tony looks at him, "You're good to go?"

"Let's do it." Bruce whispers.