Chapter 6 - House Parties & Bad Guys

Dressed in the horrible attire for gym, our class sits on the bleachers as our gym teacher wheels in the TV on the stand. He slips in the tape and a very familiar face fills the screen.

"Hi. I'm Captain America." Cap introduces enthusiastically on the screen and I can't help but chortle at the very different man I have met, "Whether you're in the classroom or in the battlefield, physical fitness can be the difference between success or failure. Today, my good friend, you gym teacher..."

On the screen, he gestures to the left while our gym teacher stands on the right, he gives a little wave before Cap continues, "Will conduct the Captain America Fitness Challenge."

"Thank you, Captain." Our teacher says, turning off the TV, "Pretty sure this guy's a war criminal, but I have to show these videos. It's required by the state, let's do it."

We all split into our pairs, MJ and I insist on going together. Everyone around us does the circuits, getting into it. MJ lays on the gym mat and reads a book, lifting her arms up and down in a mocking gesture of sit ups. I lay down with my head on her stomach, closing my eyes and having a rest.

"So your theory is that the Avengers are a government ploy to distract us from the wars in other countries?" I ask, raising an eyebrow and I feel her nod her head, "I'm telling you, there's something fishy going on in our government system."

"Well, you're not wrong there." I murmur.

"Now see for me, it would be F Thor, marry Iron Man and kill Hulk." A voice filters over from the bleachers. Opening my eyes, I turn my head and see Liz sitting on the steps, surrounded by her posè.

Timothy to her left looks over to Betty on her right, "What about the Spider-Man?"

"It's just Spider-Man." The blonde mutters.

I push myself up on my elbows and look towards Peter, whose eyes are focused in on the conversation. Liz pipes up, "Did you see the bank security cam on YouTube? He fought off four guys."

"Oh my god, she's crushing on Spider-Man." Betty gushes and Timothy's eyes widen, "No way."

"Kind of." Liz admits sheepishly.

My eyes turn back to Peter, whose eyes widen as he exchanges a look with Ned. A wave of jealousy comes over me and I clench my jaw angrily.

"Gross, he probably like thirty. You don't even know what he looks like." Betty admonishes and Timothy tacks in, "Like, what if he's seriously burned?"

"I wouldn't care. I'd still love him for the person he is inside." Liz says firmly and I roll my eyes.

"Peter knows Spider-Man!" Ned's voice echos around the gym.

Everyone stops what they're doing and look at him, Peter's eyes widening and he rushes to his feet, stuttering, "No, I don't. No. I mean..."

"They're friends." Ned insists, following after him.

MJ turns away from her book and exchanges a brief look with me before we both sit up. Flash climbs down from the ropes and scoffs in Peter's direction, "Yeah, like Coach Wilson and Captain America are friends."

"I... I've met him. A couple of times. But it's... Through the Stark Internship." Peter explains quickly before glaring at Ned, "But I'm not really supposed to talk about it."

"Well that's awesome." Flash says sardonically, "Hey, you know what? Maybe you should invite him to Liz's party. Right?"

Liz gives a nod of her head, "Yeah, I'm having people over tonight, you're more than welcome to come."