Sixty two // birthday

"Hello?" I groguely say, squinting my eyes and trying to see what time it is

The minute I heard my phone ringing, I knew it was Calum. Well, at least I really hoped it was him - I was even dreaming about it. And who else could be calling me at 4 in the morning? It was a real torture to spend an entire day not talking to him but I honestly believe it was for the best. We needed this time apart to clear our heads and reconsider what was said, even though I was missing him like crazy. In just one day. One day was too much, it felt like an eternity.

"I'm sorry, baby. I know I woke you up and you have to be up early in the morning but... I miss you so much, G" Cal says, his voice slurred "I fucked up and you have every right to be mad but... I love you, I really do and you should be here"

I'm smiling just by hearing his voice. His drunk, carried and snuggly voice. I can perfectly picture Cal lazily lying on his living room couch, an arm clumsily thrown over his lil tummy while he fights to keep his eyes open.

"Hey, birthday boy" I greet him with a sweet tone "Feeling any older and wiser yet?"

"N-No, I feel moody and grumpy" He says, sounding like he has just held back a burp "Ash called some people over to celebrate and you weren't here. You should've been here"

"Sorry, I wasn't invited" I tell Calum with a giggle, feeling an imense urge to squeeze his cheeks "You can't be moody and grumpy on your birthday, it's against the law. Plus, you have guests"

I bet Calum is crashing on the couch tonight. Walking up the stairs will seem like an impossible task considering the state he is in and he'll only realize that the next morning when he wakes up with the sun shining right on his handsome face and his back hurting from the odd position he spent the night.

"They're gone now" I hear him say as I roll in bed, staring at the dark "I didn't want them here, if I'm being honest. Everyone asked about you and I... I had to tell them why you weren't here when you should be here"

"Good to know you missed me, Hood" An idiotic smile is platerred across my face

"I did, I still do, I-... I would much rather have you here over half of those people. They are my friends but you, Gia, there's no one like you. Not Rod, Ally, Jack, or Jenny, Sarah, Nia, Tim, Re-..." He starts naming his guests - the most part I've seen on his friends' Instagram Stories - but one stands out for obvious reasons

"Oh, so Nia was there. How nice" I bitterly say, regretting it the next second

I don't want to keep going with this and bringing even more grudge to the table won't help us right now. Plus, it's his birthday and the only thing we should be doing is celebrating, not arguing.

"I get it now, you know. All the shit I said about you and Ryan and now Nia was here and... I'm r-really sor-"

"Cal, let's not talk about that" I interrupt him "Not today"

"But it's true! A bunch of people that mean nothing to me came over and..."

"Hey, don't say it like that, they're your friends and I bet you had a nice time"

Of course I want Calum to celebrate his birthday and have fun with his friends. But at the same time, the selfish part of me wishes he hasn't had that much fun cause he was missing me. I know, I'm the worst.

"I had a lot of beers, that's for sure"

I knew it. His tone always gives away how drunk he is. I remember last year's Halloween party at Ashton's and how Roy had to help me carry Calum back home. He could barely walk and much less climb the steps, so we were forced to have a little sleepover in his living room. It was actually pretty fun. I brought extra pillows and blankets downstairs to find Cal trying to build a fort with the cushions. He was acting really sweet and being extra cuddly. God, I really miss him.