Chapter 8 (Rewritten)

"Damn it. "

I cursed checking the time which told that I was late. I should have been in club an hour earlier but I got held up.

Zachariah wasn't very happy with our conversation last night. I knew it but he accepted it.

We were both sitting in his apartment just chatting about some things when he suddenly said out of blue.

"I am going to confess my feeling to her."

"I see."

I took the sip of the soda not giving any input before reminding him about the main thing.

"She isn't going to accept." He had a blank expression on his face as he studied me before adding.

"I can convert. She need to just tell me."

I nodded my head leaning back on the sofa. I didn't exactly say it but my expression said it all. I don't think that she would accept. She didn't struck me as one of those women.

"I know that she won't accept my proposal but at least I have to try." He curled his lip in a bitter smile.

"But you still can't pursue her." He added in a firm serious tone.

The hand holding on soda stopped mid in the air. The surprise reflected from my face. I never knew that I was this apparent in my liking toward Noor.

"I never had intentions to."

I took a big gulp. I truly didn't. The dinner was in a way going to be our first and last date. I didn't contact her since then. I knew the risks.

"You better not, Hudhayfah."  He pointed his index finger at me to emphasize the firmness.

I chuckled bitterly moving my hand down my face.

"You think that I am this bad."

It hurt a bit to think that my own friend didn't think that I was good enough. Alas it was a fact. I was no good.

"You reap what you sow Hudhayfah and I just don't want her to reap that too."

He truly did love her. It was apparent. If there was anyone else that he thought was worthy of her. He wouldn't mind.

In a way. I betrayed my close friend by falling in love with a woman he loved. It happened. At first, She reminded me of my mother. The same Asian Pakistani look. Her personality was similar but yet so different then my mother.

The reason for start of this attraction may have been my mother but the falling in love. It was all her.

"And order your people to stop following her."

I was guilty of stalking her for six months. I wanted to know the woman who bewitched Zachariah so bad.

Her character was pristinely pure. She kept professional relation with every malle that she encountered in her field. She was a dignified independent woman with high morals. It made me more interested. More enthralled. Which sane man won't be?

I wasn't going to agree to what he asked. I declined giving away my reason. "It's for her protection."

He shook his head denying that it wasn't and further claimed. "It would only draw attention and she will be anything but protected."

He was right. I know that he was but this was the only way for me to keep on looking after her. Even if it was from far.

"I am quite curious Hudhayfah." He looked straight into my eyes as he placed the champagne glass on table.