Part Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

You feel a pang of sadness from leaving. You understand that if you stay, you will be vulnerable and could put everyone's life in danger, but deep down, you wish to remain with your friends. 

'Leaving is best, for everyone.'

You lost interest in the conversation once they start discussing colleagues and work issues. 

Ryan looks just as bored and you manage to catch his gaze. He smiles as you motion to leave, he nods eagerly.

Peter looks to be caught in the discussion but takes note of the  two of  you sneaking off. 

You run up stairs and end up sitting in the hallway, laughing at Ryan as he says something silly about hunters. 

"Man, I can't believe you're leaving again." You nod your head, seeming to bounce from place to place.

"You will visit right? I feel like I have no control over my life." Ryan reassures you he will visit, as you try to find comfort in the words he spoke. You find yourself distracted when you hear a familiar moan. 

Ryan notices it too, as he turns his head to the guest bedroom Josh has been staying in.

You understand immediately as Ryan stands, heading towards the door. You quickly follow and place your hand on his, preventing him from twisting the knob. 

"Ryan, you don't want to open that door." He brushes you away and opens it anyways.

You stand back, not needing to witness Madelyn in an unsavory position - again.

"Really Josh?" Ryan says.

"Ryan?" Madelyn's shock is apparent. 

"Nice one guys." Ryan walks from the room, heading down the stairs fast; you follow closely behind trying to keep up.

He walks out the front door as you continue to follow. He goes to his car starting it, with a blank expression. 

You stand on the porch as his car starts rolling. He pulls up to the steps, catching your gaze, he breaks the silence, telling you to get in. You obey and enter the vehicle. Ryan takes off, heading out of town.

Ryan finally pulls over after driving a good distance out of town. 

He pulls the keys out of the ignition and places his forehead on the steering wheel. He doesn't speak, or move, just breathing calmly as a soft breeze passes through the car.

You stay silent, knowing that he will speak when he chooses.

"I bet," Ryan starts "This seems ridiculous in comparison to what you've been through." He states more than a question, but you answer nonetheless, "You can't compare yourself to others. If you are upset about something, you are upset. You can't do anything about the way you feel."