Chapter 21

Caleb's POV

I bandaged Blair's neck and held her while she slept on the couch. Sam looks at Zack daily while I watch over Blair. Millie tries fixing both of them. Sometimes she has progress but mostly with Blair. Whenever Zack is in the house, I'm out with Blair. It's the same for Zack and Sam. They saw each other once. The day after that happened. Zack came downstairs the same time Blair woke up from the couch. He took out a dart filled with liquid nitrogen-one of Millie's experiments- and threw it at Blair. It landed in her arm and she pulled it out in time thankfully. It just froze the surface of her skin. It's not frozen anymore after a lot of bags filed with scorching hot water that we put on her arm. After Zack threw the dart, he didn't waste anytime and tackled Blair as she was about to run.

"Hello again, love. Are you ready to die now?" He asks pulling out another dart. Luckily Sam and I caught them in time. Sam threw a dart filled with the sedative and knocked Zack out. "We have to stay apart." Blair says shivering from the liquid nitrogen in her system. "I know." I sigh. So now we keep them apart. Zack sometimes cooperates when we ask him about his positive feelings towards Blair. His response two days ago was this:
Millie: tell me some good things that you like about Blair.
Zack: I hate her.
Millie: if you cooperate, you can have 10 minutes of free time in the house.
Zack: Fine. I like that she's sarcastic and she can fight. That's all I'm saying.

I look at the living room and see Millie walk in from the front door. "How is she?" She asks putting down grocery bags. "Exhausted." I say. "How is Zack?" She asks. "Still insane." I tell her. "So nothing really changed?" I sigh and shake my head no. "Can I help?" I ask "Will she be okay?" Millie asks. I look at Blair's sleeping form. She is curled up in a ball and looks at peace. "She should be okay." I say leaving the couch to help Millie. I lift up a bag and begin walking to the kitchen when I hear screaming. I put the bag down on the floor and run back to the living room. The thing is that it wasn't Blair's scream. She just stirred on the couch a little.

I see Sam run out of his room and head towards Zack's. He swings the door open and after a while in Zack's room, the screaming stops. Sam walks out with Zack-who was wearing all black-and Zack stumbles from his door to the bottom of the stairs. Zack's hair is matted with sweat and he looks confused and scared. "What's going on?" I ask Sam. "I don't know." He replies. Zack walks around the couch to take a seat. "Wait!" I shout. My eyes moving from Blair to Zack. "What?" He groans. He also looks exhausted and has bags under his eyes.

"You can't sit there, you should go outside, more privacy." I say. "My own house is the most private place for me. I'm staying and I'm sitting on-" he turns to sit on the couch and sees Blair. We all watch wondering how he's going to try to kill her this time. He stares at her and then slowly sits beside her. Sam takes a step towards Zack and I put my hand in my pocket in case I have to pull out another sedative filled dart. Zack keeps staring at Blair. She turns on her back and stretches her foot out which touches Zack's leg. Millie inhales sharply. Zack moves closer to the end he is sitting by. "Should I move her?" I ask Millie from beside me. "I don't know, he hasn't done anything so far." She says taking out her notepad and a pencil to take notes on.

"Zack, what happened?" Sam asks. "I had a dream." He says. "It was terrifying." He continues. His eyes was still on Blair. "What was the dream about?" Millie asks as kindly as she can. "You remember a week ago, when she asked to talk to me?" He asks. "We all remember the week." Sam mutters. I glare at him. "Sorry, sorry." He says. "What I did to her, I dreamt that I was her and instead of she being me, I was still me. Two Zacks. So I was strapped down to that bed and I was hurting myself. I felt everything she felt that day. Everything." He says keeping his eyes on her.

Millie writes down what he says. "Do you regret what you did?" She asks. "No. I regret how I made her feel." He says. "You do know you were trying to kill her?" Sam asks. "Yes." Zack says. "Do you regret trying to kill her?" I ask. "Yes." He says. "Do you regret hurting her?" Sam asks. "No." Zack says. "Why don't you regret it?" Millie asks. "Because she made me feel the same way." He says staring at her. I can only see the side of his face. The sun is directed at the couch. I see something fall from his face and sparkle in the sunlight. A tear.