Chapter 16: Tickets

PAST

It had already been two week since Hoseok last saw Taehyung. He was worried, but he wanted to believe the Teacher since she said she was helping Taehyung. But it had already been more than a week since he properly talked to teacher. He thought she was busy. But she was a really helpful and caring person, she definitely was trying her best. He thought he shouldn't interrupt.

The bell rang. He submitted his paper and walked out of the room with his bag over his shoulder. Suddenly the teacher called him, he turned and greeted her.

"How have you been, Hoseok? How was your exam? A while longer and you'll be in Middle school. Isn't it exciting?" She smiled.

Hoseok hesitantly nodded and asked her the question which he thought he should, "Are you helping Taehyung?"

"Yes, I wanted to talk to you about it.."

"What is it?"

"The Child Protective Services will be visiting his parents next month to investigate. His parents don't know yet, and we want it to remain that way, okay?" She said politely.

"Wh-what?! Won't then he be admitted into the system?! Miss, he has no other relatives!" Hoseok could feel himself trembling.

"I know, Hoseok. But that's the best option for now. He'll still be attending school here, I've put forward that request to Ms. Kim from the Services, let's hope they'll accept it."

||

His middle school life had already begun. But he hadn't seen Taehyung in a month.

It had been two weeks since the classes started, and it all felt dull. The students tried to befriend him, people thought he behaved in a 'cool' way. But, he couldn't focus on any of that, he just wanted to see Taehyung again. He wanted to see his smile, he wanted to see him behave in his innocent silly manner. He missed him.

After the school day ended, he decided to visit her. He made his way to the elementary school building and entered the staff room. As usual, he noticed her working on her desk. He walked over to her and greeted.

"Ah, Hoseok, look at you. You're already looking older. A middle school gentleman, yes?" She smiled warmly at her.

"Thank you, miss." He nodded before he put forward his question, "Di-did they visit Tae's home? Is he okay? Did his dad get arrested?"

"Ahㅡ about that.."

"What?" Hoseok gulped in fear as he scrutinzed his teacher's pitiful face. His heart felt the stinging pain just to see such a gloomy expression, he figured out something was not right.

"The visited his home. But maybe his parents already sensed it.."

"What do you mean?! Taehyung's alright, right?" His eyes welled up, his voice started breaking in fear.

"I don't know.. they left town. We estimated it to be around the time this academic year started. Their house was empty. I'm sorry Hoseok.. we have no whereabouts of them as of now.. but Ms. Kim said they'll try toㅡ"

Hoseok ran away, trying to stop his tears as he ran. Taehyung was gone. He left. Without a word. He didn't even try to contact him. Why would he do that? Was Hoseok's friendship that insignificant to him?