Chapter 13: Distance

PAST

Hoseok witnessed everything that day. Taehyung was undoubtedly being abused at home. And not only him, but his mother too.

It was scary. It was terrifying. Hoseok could never imagine that there was such suffering behind the empty smile Taehyung forced on his lips.

He wanted to help him.

He desperately wanted the Teacher's doubt to be false but that was not infact the case. So, the next day, he went upto her and told her everything that happened.

"Thank you for the help, Hoseok. You're really brave. Don't worry, we'll take care of things from here on. We'll definitely help him." She smiled at him after her comforting words and sent him back to class.

We? Hoseok wondered to himself as he walked back to his class.

PRESENT

"So," Yoongi began as both of them walked out of the bar after few hours of work, "We've been so busy lately I couldn't properly ask you that day.. why the sudden job?"

"Uh. Reasons I think. But I never knew you worked here, hyung!" Hoseok still seemed surprised even after days passed.

"That's because I never told you or anyone."

"Why though?"

Yoongi shrugged, "I don't know. I rather like to keep things to myself."

Hoseok nodded, "Okay. I understand.."

For a while they walked silently, maintaining distance between themselves. Hoseok realized that it's only much more easier and comfortable to talk to him when they're in a group. The walk seemed awkward to him but he decided to force himself to speak, "So, How is Taehyung?"

It was the only thing he could think about that seemed alright since they were roommates. Though he already did, he didn't actually want to bring Taehyung up.. They haven't been talking much lately, Taehyung seems a little too cautious. Maybe he started hating me.. He was finding it hard to bring himself the courage to talk to Taehyung either, Tae said he wouldn't let go. But Hoseok feels he will, one day, again. Either because of the stupid kiss or because of the fact that he can't remember him and it's too stressing. There's only upto a certain limit one can take and try to force themselves to remember, once that limit is reached, the only thing left is to give up. No matter how intensely hypothetical it was, he was simply too scared and anxious to be left broken again. He was scared to give it a second try.. to give it another chance.

He knew he was backing away but Tae's friendship had meant too much to him back then and it even meant a lot to him now. But, he wasn't ready to get so emotionally attached and then get hurt again.

He did say things to him, and had absolutely no control over his emotions. But now atleast he felt he does, after maintaining such safe distance from him.

And, even though he already did get attached to Taehyung, he knew.. a little more further, and he might lose it.

But he felt Taehyung had already started feeling odd and has been backing away. Tae seemed more hesitant and shy to talk, maybe he just wants to get away from Hoseok. Maybe he has already given up.

"--and that's what he is like nowadays. Wait, are you even listening?" Yoongi squinted his eyes at him.

Hoseok flinched back to reality, "Oh, I- I'm sorry, could you repeat?"