Chapter 12: Visit

PAST

Taehyung was terribly reluctant at first to take Hoseok to his house. It wasn't as if Hoseok had never been to his place before, but that was when they were maybe nine years old.

A few months more, and they would be in middle school. It's almost unimaginable how Hoseok managed to be friends with Taehyung, despite his own cold nature. But nonetheless, he felt happy in his presence; the smile Taehyung shone upon him would be a bliss, one that would calm and warm his heart.

However, in the last few months, Taehyung's smiles were clouded with a bigger underlying cause, one that Hoseok could neither detect, nor get Taehyung to reveal.

He didn't in the slightest think what it is, untill his teacher put forward the possibility. And she had asked for his help. It was true that he wasn't confident about his own ability to provide aid, however if it was for the sake of that smile that never left him, the warmth that always embraced him, he wouldn't think twice before jumping in and doing whatever he can.

The normal school day had ended, the bell rang and Hoseok was still lost in his own train of thoughts, the train that was thinking about how to get Taehyung to let him in his house. He was too drown that it came as a shock when Taehyung patted on his shoulder.

"Hobi?" Taehyung's face looked concerned after he saw Hoseok startle.

Don't look at me like that. You are the one I'm concerned about, idiot. Hoseok picked up his belongings and stashed them in his backpack, slinging it over his shoulders, he gestured Taehyung, "Let's go."

They started walking their way out of the school. However in those silent moments, he was breaking every second into microseconds. And in those microseconds, he was going through a thousand excuses and ways to convince Taehyung. He felt anxious. He didn't even notice how terribly silent Taehyung was.

Before he realized, they were already out of school. And he kept walking, not noticing that Taehyung had stopped. A second later, he looked around and turned back to see Taehyung gazing silently at a woman in a long coat which supposedly was his mother. This is my chance! It was a difficult one, but he bravely walked up to her and greeted her with a warm smile, "Good Afternoon, Mrs. Kim. I have been asking Tae for a while if I can visit your house." He confidently spoke. Internally, he felt scared, he was really afraid, because if this woman was abusing Taehyung, then it could be a really dangerous situation for both him and Tae.

"Ah- oh- sure. It would be a pleasure to have you." Taehyung's mother was a little surprised at first but she invited him with a warm smile. Hoseok looked at Taehyung, who seemed more worried than normal.

.
.
.

"Thank you for having me." Hoseok bowed to pay his respect after they entered, trying to judge any difference in her demeanor.

"You're always so humble. Such a wonderful kid." She smiled at him and slightly ruffled his hair, "Always be happy". Hoseok noticed how her face looked dull, unlike the last time he saw her. Her eyes puffy and purple dark circles around her eyes; inflammated areas over her neck, elbows, shoulders, not sparing parts of her face either. Earlier the huge coat concealed it, but now it was evident to even bare eyes. Those were unmistakably, bruises.

"I will."

He felt guilty for even doubting her. However, he needed to do the job he was requested to. Not only the responsibility of protecting Taehyung dawned upon him, but the need to save his loving mother as well.