20. Dance Preparations

Things remain a little tense over the next few days, but overall Landon and I seem to be doing okay. Everything at school died down pretty quickly. Just another difference between my new school and Summit. The only real difference that remained was the fact that people were no longer ignoring the way that Brooklyn acted and were still calling her out on it. I almost feel a little bad for me with how hard people are being on her but part of me still feels like she deserves it.

     Landon is supposed to be picking me up for the dance at 7:00 so I have plenty of time to get ready. I take my time in the shower trying to wash any nerves that are still lingering about the night. After my conversation with Landon the other day I can't help but wonder what's going to happen between us if things don't go as planned tonight. I try to shake the thought from my head, I have to do whatever it takes to make this night perfect.

     I get out of the shower and dry my hair. Mom made me promise to let her help with my hair and makeup. Our relationship has been great lately and I have actually grown to enjoy moments like this that we had missed out on in the past. She spends a great deal of time with perfectly curling my hair and then pulls my hair back into an intricate up-do. I wonder how she got so good at doing hair like, she is really talented at it. We make small talk as she applies my makeup and when she is finished I go to my room to put on the dress I got from the antique store.

     I step out of my room in the lace and tulle champagne dress that I had picked out. I gave a little twirl and could see mom wipe her cheek as a stray tear fell. "Sadie, you look absolutely beautiful" she says. She gives me another look head to toe and then steps back and brings her hand to her chin like she is thinking about something.

     She turns and walks towards her room and returns a few minutes later with a velvet box in her hands. "You are missing just one thing" she says as she hands me the box. I open it and see her matching pearl necklace and earring set. I run my fingers over the necklace. I know that my grandmother gave this set to her when she was around my age, so I know how important these items are to her. She motions for me to turn around, so she can drape the necklace around my neck. She fastens the clasp and turns me back around.

     After getting the seal of approval from mom we head downstairs. I check my phone as we reach the kitchen and I am a little surprised to see that it is already 7:05 and so far, no Landon. It's not like him to be late to pick me up so I send him a quick text to make sure everything is okay. I wait a few more minutes and don't get a response.

     Mom can tell that my anxiety is getting the best of me, so she suggests that we take a few pictures before Landon arrives. We head out to the front yard because mom insists that the lighting is better out there. I can tell that she is really just trying to take my mind off the time. We take tons of pictures in every different pose she could think of. She has me take a few with her and dad as well. Finally, as I am growing more and more impatient I see Landon's car pull onto my street.

     He pulls in the driveway and opens the car door to get out. Before he even looks up at me he is apologizing for being late. He walks across the lawn and shakes my parents' hands and explains that he was late because he almost forgot about getting a corsage. He tells us he spent 10 minutes standing in the florist shop just staring because he couldn't decide which one to get. Something about this explanation seems a little off to me but I brush it off because this night has to be perfect.