19. Facing the Music

Landon and I walk towards school and I can see that a lot of people look up at me, but no one says anything to me. We get inside and start heading towards our English class when a girl that I've seen around several times but never spoke to steps in front of us. "Sadie, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about what happened at the party Friday. I thought you should know that we aren't like that here. That was not cool of Brooklyn or that guy she brought, they were way out of line."

     I smile at her and thank her as we continue on our way to class. I am a little thrown by what she just said. Landon told me to go into this with an open mind, but I never expected this to be the reaction that I got from people. A few other people stop us along the way saying similar things. I look over at Landon and smile. I can't believe he was actually right about this.

     We settle into our normal seats in the back corner of the classroom and I feel like a weight is lifting. Maybe I will actually be able to move on here. The way people are reacting is exactly what I had hoped of people from my old school. Instead, the bully won, and I ended up having to change schools. For the first time though I am realizing that this was for the best.

     A few minutes before class is set to start, Brooklyn comes walking in the door. I can tell from the second that I see her that she is ready for another show down with me. She is probably still ticked that Ethan dissed her in front of everyone after the fight.

     She walks towards her desk but stops short and turns towards me. I brace myself for what is about to come out of her mouth and I can see Landon tense as well. "Hey Sadie, you know it was really fun hearing all of Ethan's stories about you on Friday. It looked like you guys really enjoyed catching up."

     I clench the edge of my desk and try to keep my face neutral, not wanting to give her the satisfaction of getting a rise out of me. I peak over at Landon and see him looking back at me trying to determine if I am okay. I feel warmth in my cheeks and can tell that my body is sabotaging any efforts of trying to appear like I'm unaffected by what Brooklyn just said.

     Before I have much longer to think about what just happened I hear someone from the front of the classroom speak up. "Brooklyn, could you shut up already. You did enough on Friday. Don't try telling us that you didn't know who this guy was. Using someone's ex just to screw with them is low even for you." The majority of the classroom applauds, and a few people throw in a "yes, thank you".

     For the second time this morning I am stunned. Brooklyn sinks down in her seat with embarrassment spreading across her face. I look towards the front of the room in the direction of the person who had just spoke and mouth a silent "thank you" at her. She looks back at me letting me know it was no problem.

     The rest of the day goes the same way. By the time 7th period comes to an end it is evident that people have no intention of letting Brooklyn off easy for the role she played in everything that went down. Its nice to see that people are finally opening their eyes to just how horrible Brooklyn really is. I think this is going to be the thing that puts a stop people around here allowing her to get away murder.

     After I change out of my gym clothes and gather my stuff up I head to the parking lot to meet Landon. We are supposed to work at 5:00 so we were planning on just hanging out until then and riding to work together. When we get in the care I can tell that something is a little off with him. He hasn't really talked much since English and he was almost silent during lunch.

     I am starting to get concerned by the way he is acting. I decide I better ask him what is going on before it is able to fester any more. "Is everything okay? I can tell something is bothering you." I could be wrong, but I swear he looks angry or annoyed by my question. He is clearly struggling with what he is about to say, and he is honestly making me very nervous.

    "I don't know how you've dealt with this so long. One day of everyone talking about me and I can barely stand it. I just wish that stupid fight never happened! I know this is normal to you from your old school, but you haven't once checked to see how I am doing with all this." Ouch. I was not expecting to hear him say that, but he is right. Here I've been only thinking about how everything from the party was going to affect me and I selfishly forgot about how Landon would be handling this. I feel like such a jerk for not checking in with him and how he was doing today.

     "I'm so sorry Landon. I got so caught up in everything today that I didn't even think to check in on how you were doing. Were people really that bad? I didn't hear too many people talking about the fight." I honestly hadn't. It seemed like more people where talking about me which I guess I've just grown use to. As I am thinking this over I realize that I have been being a horrible girlfriend. I haven't been there for Landon the way I should be, and I honestly can't blame him for being angry with me.

     His expression softens a little bit, but I can tell he is still very upset. Things must have been much worse on him today than I had imagined. He stares straight ahead with his jaw clenched and his grasp still firm on the steering wheel. Without even looking over at me he says, "Are you sure that homecoming Friday is such as good idea? I don't know if I can handle any more drama if Brooklyn decides to show up with Ethan again."

     I feel like the wind has just been knocked out of me. I can quickly feel my relationship falling apart and I know that I owe it to him to do everything I can to fix this. He has put so much effort into trying to reassure me and help me through my drama that he deserves me to do the same for him. I feel horrible for letting him get to this point of feeling like this.

     "Landon, please don't let this cause problems between us. I'm ready to move past all of this and I promise that even if he does show up I am not letting him, or Brooklyn ruin our night or our relationship for that matter." He gives me a look of reassurance and places his hand on my thigh, "Okay then", he says. I can't help but feel a little nervous, but I believe that we are going to be okay.