18. Nerves

Monday morning came way too quickly and my anxiety about going back to school was at an all time high. I got dressed and headed downstairs to the kitchen to grab some breakfast before I left for school. After almost 30 minutes of protesting I finally gave in to Landon's request to drive me to school today. I was being stubborn about it mostly because I didn't want him to be inconvenienced but a part of me was really happy that I wouldn't have to walk into this alone. I sit at the counter eating my pop tart and mom is sitting there drinking her coffee. She has been giving me space ever since Friday, but I can tell she really wants to know what's going on.

     As we sit there I quickly fill her in on what happened at the party, only giving her the most basic of details. I don't really have it in me to rehash the whole night with her right now. I fill her in about Landon standing up for me but conveniently leave out the part about him and Ethan coming to blows over the situation. Mom seems impressed that he stood up for me. She hasn't come out and said it, but I know how she feels about Ethan after everything that happened.

     After a few minutes of us talking I hear a knock at the door and grab my book bag knowing that it is Landon. I told him he could just text me when he got here but he insisted on coming up to the door. I open the door and smile as soon as I see him. He leans down to kiss me and a few seconds later I hear mom behind me clearing her throat. She smirks at us, "You forgot your phone in the kitchen." She goes to turn around but does a double take as she notices Landon's black eye. "Do I even want to know what the other guy looks like? I don't condone violence but I also wont lie and say Ethan didn't deserve it." She heads back to the kitchen and Landon and I stand looking at each other in shock at her reaction. After a few seconds, we both start laughing.

     We spend the drive to school listening to music as I sit in the middle spot in the front seat, so I can be closer to Landon. He has his hand on my thigh and I sit with my head leaned against his shoulder. I feel so at ease with him that I almost forget about the craziness that we are about to walk into at school. It's amazing to me how good he is at making me forget about all of the drama in my life. I feel so safe with him and I feel like when I am with him none of the drama can affect me.

     I realize that I haven't really thanked him for Friday or everything else he has done for me this weekend. He has been there for me in a way that I wasn't expecting. "I wanted to thank you for everything you've done this weekend. Really for everything you've done since we started dating. I know that all of my drama is more than most people would be willing to deal with, but you have been so great about everything... And then the way you defended me at the party—" I try to think about what to say to make sure he realizes just how much his actions have meant to me. "Landon, no one has ever treated me the way you do. After Ethan, I thought that was all I was destined to deal with and I was scared to death to take a risk with you, but I am so glad that I did." My hands are shaking as I am pouring my heart out to him.

     We pull into the parking lot and he turns to look at me. "You mean so much to me and I know I've said it before, but I will continue doing whatever it takes to prove to you that you never deserved what happened to you. I have seen how much you've changed since we've been together, and I want to make sure you know just how important you are to me." He leans over and kisses me and all of the drama and anxiety I have been feeling drifts away and no longer matters. With every moment like this that we share he is bit-by-bit healing the damage that was done to me.

     I could stay locked in this moment with him forever, but I know that we have to leave our little bubble and face what awaits us outside the safety of his car. "Are you ready for this?" I ask him. "Try to keep your chin up. How things played out with Aiden on Friday should be a good indicator that things are different here than Summit. You may be surprised at people's reactions." I think over what he says, and he is right. I need to try to give people the benefit of the doubt. 

     When I was at Summit no one even thought about calling Ethan out for what he was doing. He laughs a little, "At least you don't have to walk around answering questions about this all day" he says as he points up to his shiner. He has a point, I chuckle a little and get out of the car. He comes around to my side and wraps his hand around my waist as we start the walk into school. With him by my side, I actually feel like I can handle this. 

Hello!

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the reads and comments everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to check out my book. This is all new for me but the support I've gotten has been so great! I can't wait to keep seeing where this story takes us. I think we are only a few chapters from the end so please comment below and let me know if you would like to see a sequel to this book. I have an idea bouncing around in my head but want some input.

Thank you all!

~Sam