14.Homecoming Anyone?

Landon and I spent the rest the of the weekend either talking on the phone or texting. Monday morning came, and we had planned to meet up in the parking lot before school. We both pulled up around the same time. I could feel the butterflies return to my stomach as I saw his car pull in. How is it that I am this anxious to see him when its only been 2 days since our date? I see him get out of his car, so I gather up my book bag and climb out of my car. He comes around to my driver side and I lean against the car. I look up at his blue grey eyes the look he returns tells me he is equally happy to see me.

      "Are you ready to do this? Once they know we are together there is no going back "he says. I grab his hand and start walking towards the front of the building, "I don't care who knows. Let them talk and say whatever they want. I am happy and if you are too then nothing else matters." Just as we make it to the front door he leans down to kiss me, and all eyes immediately glue on us.

     We make it through the day with only a few comments made to us. Aside from the hand holding and few stolen kisses things seem to be the same as always between Landon and me. It seems as though us becoming a couple was not much of a shock to people at school. We both work tonight but I have a few hours until I have to be at the shop, so I head home. 

     When I get home, mom is in the kitchen waiting for me. "I was hoping I would get to ask you how things went with you and Landon today." Its still weird to me sometimes just how much our relationship has changed in just a few short days. "It actually went really well. People weren't surprised in the slightest bit. Its nice for something to not be the talk of the school for once."

     I get to the shop and as usual Landon is already behind the counter busy at work. It looks like we have a new lot of homecoming outfits in again. The dance is only another week away, so sales have actually picked up quite a bit lately. I guess this shouldn't be too surprising since there are only a few stores to choose from in town. I start going through the boxes and hang the dresses, trying to organize them by size and length. I reach into the bottom of the box and see champagne tulle poking up. I pick up the dress and it is perfect. It's a tulle and lace champagne colored tea length dress with quarter sleeves. It is the perfect mix between modern and vintage.

      Landon must see me eyeing the dress because he speaks up, "I know we have only been dating for a few days now and I know its probably not your thing, but I would really love to take you to homecoming." He walks over and wraps his arms around my waist. "If you don't want to, just say the word. But I really want to enjoy this with you and I promise little ol' Greendale's homecoming won't disappoint."

      I was honestly a little worried that he wasn't going to want to go. Whether I want to admit it or not, I actually want to experience another homecoming and now the prospect seems even better since I would be sharing the night with Landon by my side. "Well I guess it depends. Are you going to make fun of my wicked dance skills? Just because you are my boyfriend doesn't mean I'm going to take it easy on you" I say with a huge grin. He smiles back at me, "Challenge accepted!"

     I have a feeling that this homecoming is going to be better than the ones at Summit High School. Although I'm sure they aren't nearly as elaborate, things here seem to be more my style. When Landon turns back to the box he had been working on I quickly grab the champagne dress I had been looking at and stash it in the back, so I can make sure no one else gets to it first. I'll have to remember to pay his grandma for it tomorrow when she is in.

     The remainder of the night goes by like any other. We have a few customers but mostly Landon and I spend the night talking and joking around. We recognize a few of the kids that walk in as people from school. No one really stays long, even with the new inventory there is still a rather limited amount of homecoming outfits available.

     Before we know it, it's time to close up and head home. We follow our normal routine of Landon closing out the register while I do a final sweep of the store and then we head to the door and he locks up. He grabs my hand and we walk towards my car. I've never had a guy show enough caring that he would walk me to my car like Landon does. We get to the car and he opens my door for me, leaning in and placing a gentle kiss on my lips. We say goodnight and I start on my way home. 

* This is the dress I imagine for Sadie-