4. Gym Class Hero

I head back to the locker room to change and then I head to the principal's office. Funny how little Miss Perfect isn't joining me there. She seems to have everyone in this school wrapped around her finger. You either fall into one of two categories: 1) You worship the ground she walks on and she can do no wrong, 2) You are one of the ones that she thinks she can push around. Although she doesn't know it yet, she will not be pushing me around. I get to the office and I walk in and see a familiar face sitting behind the desk. "Now I know this school is small and all, but you have to be following me, right?"

      Those blue grey eyes stare back at me with a smirk on his face, "I'm actually an office aid this hour, but I think I should be the one accusing someone of following them. What are you doing in here?" With an annoyed look on my face I simply respond, "Brooklyn." "I can tell that he is thinking over what I just said and a look that is a mix of amusement and concern flashes across his face. He looks like he is about to say something just as the door opens and someone calls me from the office straight head.

     As I sit in the tiny, musty smelling office I am lectured about trying to make an effort to get along with my fellow students and how violence is never tolerated here. I try to defend myself saying that I didn't lay a hand on Brooklyn and that she made the whole thing up. I'm furious that she is not the one in here getting in trouble for bullying Claire. Mrs. G probably didn't even say anything to her about that. Just when I think this conversation can't get any worse, "Listen Miss Caldwell, your parents explained to me what happened to you at your old school, so I can see why you would feel the need to protect someone in Claire's position," "Wait a second, what exactly did my parents tell you happened there? You clearly misunderstood them, or they really don't know the whole story." I can't believe this, do my parents even know me at all? I mean I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since my mom really hasn't bothered to talk to me about any of this at all. 

     After her and dad found out, she was so concerned about what people where going to say when they found out and how they could quickly get rid of the evidence before the neighbors saw. I realize the principal is still talking and hear something mentioned about my punishment. "So, what is going to be? Suspension, detention, sitting with Brooklyn singing kumbaya. While the last option seems the most entertaining I have to say, I'm out." He sighs and hands me a slip saying that I will have detention after school for the rest of the week, great. I stand to walk out but he feels the need to get in one last word, "Miss Caldwell, I can see what you are trying to do here, and I really hope that you will at least give Silver Valley a fair chance. I think you could really like it here if you try." That doesn't seem very likely, this place is just the same as Summit. I turn on my heals and march out of the office.

     I head out to my car and as I'm walking through the parking lot I see Brooklyn turn and throw a fake smile and little wave at me. Ugh. I really can't stand that girl! I get to my car, roll down the windows, scroll through my iPhone to find one of my playlists and crank my music. I peel out of the parking lot and take the long way home trying to buy a few more minutes before I get home and have this dreaded conversation with my mother. I really wish that things could have been different. I wish I could have started school here and just kept quiet and blended in, but I think that's one thing I learned from Summit was to never expect someone else to stand up for you. You can only rely on yourself.

     I pull into the driveway and spot moms shiny new Mercedes in the driveway. I really hoped that she wouldn't be here yet and I could go up to my room and drown my thoughts out with my music. I take a deep breath and gather my jacket and book bag. I may as well get this over with. I walk into the garage and drop my shoes by the door and slowly open the door to go inside.

      I walk in the kitchen go over to the fridge and grab a bottle of water. I walk into the living room and so far, no sight of my mom. I turn towards the stairs and start heading up thinking maybe I somehow imagined her car being here. Just then I hear, "SADIE ELIZABETH CALDWELL! We need to talk, Kitchen NOW!" I can feel all the energy leave my body as I prepare for what is about to come.