9.Shift

The rest of the night Landon and I spend talking and setting up the small displays around the store with the few homecoming outfits that his grandma left out for us in the back. We talk about everything under the sun. Things he fills me in on drama he has with his ex who apparently goes to another school in the district. They also had a nasty breakup, but it was more along the lines of just feeling like they weren't on the same page anymore. 

     He fills me in on the many cliques at our school. As I had already gathered, most of the kids we go to school with have been in the same classes since kindergarten. They don't take easily to new people. I talk about the cliques we had at Summit the difference there since it was a private school was that which clique you fell into had more to do with your parent's income than who you got along with best.

     We worked until 10pm and I don't think we had a single customer. I'm surprised his grandma can afford to pay both of us, but I won't question it since I think I am really going to like this job. When closing time comes Landon and I work on shutting down the cash register and I gather up my stuff. We both walk out the door and I stand there in the dim glow of the streetlight in front of the store while Landon locks up. 

     "Where'd you park?" he asks. I motion over to my car at the lot a few buildings down. "No way am I letting you walk by yourself in the dark." Before I have a chance to argue I feel him gently place his hand on my lower back as he guides me towards my car. The gesture is sweet but the slight touch from him is sending sparks shooting through my body.

     As we approach my car he asks me if we are on for lunch tomorrow in our normal spot. I try not to let on how much I had been hoping that he was planning on continuing our lunches together. Looking forward to our time out at our bench arguing about which song is better and who has the better playlist is what makes it easier to get through the morning at school.

      I start to open my car door, but I'm stopped when I feel Landon gently grab my arm. He inches closer to my face, a softness in his eyes that I haven't seen before. "I wanted to thank you for sharing that with me earlier. I know that wasn't easy for you to talk about, but I want you to know that I am here, always." He places a gentle kiss on my forehead and walks away.

     I stand in shock at what just happened. I finally will myself to move and get into the car. As I put my seat belt on I notice that I have goosebumps covering both of my arms. This night has been full of surprises. After everything that happened with Ethan earlier this year and then what I found out today about him and Jen, I thought for sure I would be ready to swear off men until at least college. 

     There is something about Landon. He is unlike any guy that I have ever met. He seems so genuine and real. There was always a small part of me that questioned how much Ethan was really interested in me but that's not the case with Landon. I can tell that when we talk he is fully invested in what I have to say. He never has to pretend like he is focused like Ethan use to and he is perfectly fine with the conversation not always revolving around him.

     I drive home and head up to my room. Once I shower and put on pajamas, I lay down across my bed and no matter how hard I try I can't wipe this huge grin off my face. I never thought that I would be in this place again. I swore that I would never let a guy have the power to affect my emotions this way again. I promised myself that I would be in control after what happened but all it took was those blue grey eyes to let me feel that control start to slip.