7. Why'd I have to go and do that?

The rest of the day is just a fog. I just drift through the rest of my classes and through detention. As you would expect, detention here consists of about 3 students all stuck sitting in desks pretending to work on homework while the gym teacher sits and flips through a magazine. He barely even pays attention and I could probably get away with just sneaking out of here if I really wanted to. Detention releases at 4:00 and I still have a full hour before I need to be at the shop, so I guess I'll head home to try to kill a little time first.

     I walk into the house and go grab a water from the fridge. I head straight to my room because I am still avoiding my mom. I get up to my room and throw my bag onto the chair in the corner. I sprawl out over the bed and put my headphones in. Thoughts of my lunch with Landon start floating into my head and before I realize what I am doing I hit play on that playlist. When you realize love is a lie.

     I start thinking back to all of the things that happened over the last year. I know I shouldn't, but I click on my social media app and the next thing I know I am looking at his profile. His profile picture is of him wearing black jeans a plain grey shirt and the black leather jacket that I bought him sophomore year at that vintage store we went to. He looks good, better than I had hoped he would. I really hoped I would look him up and he would be a fraction as miserable as he made me. But there he is, Ethan Miller, looking carefree as usual.

     I look a little further down his page and that's when I feel it; the feeling of a knife being stuck into your gut and slowly twisted. A comment from my ex-best friend Jen, "Had such a good time last night. Happy 9 months to us babe!Only a few more til our 1 year!" I am hit with a flood of emotions and I can't decide if I want to hit something, cry or throw up. My body decides for me and tears start streaming down my face. I can't believe that Jen and Ethan are together. There is no way! I mean, I know the roll that Jen played in everything that went down but she couldn't actually be dating Ethan after everything that she said about him after what he did. I thought the betrayal by him was bad but that was nothing compared to what I am enduring right now at the hands of the only other person in the world that knows all my secrets.

     I click off of his profile and close out of all of my apps. What was I thinking? I should have known better than to even check his page. Honestly, what did I think was going to happen? After everything, he was going to post some heartfelt message about how sorry he was... Of course not! After humiliating me so bad that I not only had to transfer schools but also move to another town, I am convinced that he never had a heart to begin with. I am so angry that I almost forget that I am supposed to be meeting Landon. I look down at my phone again and realize that I need to leave if I am going to make it there in time. I wipe my eyes and head for my car.

     When I pull into the parking lot I flip down the visor mirror and do one last check. It's my first day at a new job and I don't want to have to explain to Landon why I have been crying. We have only known each other for 2 days but I can't help but wonder if he will somehow notice anyways. I walk into the shop and see him leaning against the counter flipping through a textbook. I can't ignore how good he looks. I hadn't noticed before, but he has a nice tan and muscles that show under his plain black t-shirt. He looks up and notices me and I try my best to smile so he doesn't catch on that something is bothering me. "Hey, so my grandma wanted me to show you the ropes tonight. She said she will be in later tonight to go over your paperwork and hours and all that."

     Landon spends a little bit of time showing me where everything is. The stock room, the dressing rooms, the back office. My job will be basically to help check out customers and keep the store tidy by organizing the dressing rooms and returning any clothes back to the racks. This seems like it will be fairly easy since in the hour we have been going over all this we haven't had a single customer come in. As we are heading back out to the register and front counter area I get the feeling that Landon has been waiting to ask me something.

      "I don't mean to pry or anything. I know we have only known each other a few days but were you okay earlier?" He seems embarrassed or maybe like he's regretting asking me. "I just mean, when you walked in you looked like you were a little upset or something. Umm I mean I could be wrong but there was this look on your face---" I don't really know how to feel about what he is asking. I am genuinely surprised that he picked up on this. I'm not quite sure yet just how much I want to share but when I am around Landon I feel like I can't stop telling him things.

      Talking to him just comes so easy and we never seem to hit the point where I feel like he is judging me. The problem is, how much of my old story do I want to find its way into my new life here. I start with, "I just saw something online about my ex that was pretty upsetting. I think I was more so angry than anything else." He looks at me with so much compassion in those bright blue grey eyes of his. "Trust me, I can understand ex drama. Do you want to talk about it?"

     I think about it for a second and even though I am not sure if I am going to regret this later, in that moment I find myself wanting to open up to him. I don't know how to explain it but something about Landon makes me feel like I am safe to be myself, scars and all. Even though there seems to be some kind of disconnect between my heart and my head. I really do want to get to a place where I can believe in the good in people. I think that is the worst thing of all that Ethan took away from me.

Made a few edits! Please comment and tell me what you are thinking so far! I need opinions on where we want to see things go with Sadie and Landon? Who wants to see if her past is really going to stay in the past?