2.First Day

Its 7:15 and I am supposed to be meeting the guidance counselor in her office in about 10 minutes, so I start to make my way inside. I pass groups of friends catching up and going over how they spent their summer. I pass a group of guys in letterman jackets and I get a chill as I hear someone whistle as I walk by. Good to see that high school guys are all relatively the same no matter where you go to school. 

     Just as I'm about to step through the door I hear one of the jocks, I'm assuming the whistler say, "Man, the new girls hot but what's with all the black. She looks like some kind of Devil worshiper or something." I look back at them and the guy in with the shaggy blonde hair says, "Dude, you better not say that too loud. Brooklyn would kill you if she heard she has some competition." He shrugs off his friends comment, clearly unaffected.  I roll my eyes and walk away. Boys are literally all the same.

     I make it to the counselor Mrs. Hemming's office right on time. I stop at the small desk at the front of the office to let the receptionist know who I am here to see. She looks like she is a few cups of coffee short of being able to function for a Monday morning. She runs off to an office in the corner to let someone know I'm here. My parents had spoken with the principle and guidance counselor when they enrolled me in classes here a few days ago to make sure they were aware of the situation at my old school. 

     The school was instructed that my parents had zero tolerance for any of the same things happening here. I'm sure my parents did nothing more than make this harder on me. I don't need to start a new school with the principle and counselor already pissed at me.

     Mrs. Hemming's comes to the door of her office and calls "Sadie Caldwell". I stand up and head over to her. She has a kind smile and tired eyes. She looks like she is probably my mom's age but not as uptight and put together.  There is something about her that gives me the feeling that she actually cares a lot about her job and puts a lot of energy into it. She goes to sit down at the desk and motions for me to take a seat in front of her. She starts off by talking about her conversation with my parents a few days ago. 

     "So, Sadie, your parents tell me that you had a rough Junior year at your old school." "Yeah, I guess you could say that. It doesn't help that my parents decided to move and dump us off at Green Acres." She sighs, "So I take it you are not too excited about joining us here at Silver Valley?" Wow, you mean she picked up on that, color me surprised. "I'm not excited about finishing high school at all. I am ready to be done, graduate and move far, far away to college. I'm ready to leave my parents and immature teenagers behind me." I know I'm going hard on her, but I am still annoyed that my parents thought it was necessary to come to the school and warn her and the principle about me. Now I start out by looking like a whack job. Besides, I don't want her to think she is going to fix me, and I am going to have a great senior year filled with lots of new friends. 

     The truth is that after what happened to me, I probably am a little broken but, I most certainly don't need anyone to fix me. I want that pain I have to help me protect myself in the future. I realize I've been zoned out and not really even listening to her. I go to stand up and ask if I can just have my schedule, so I am not too late to class. However fun this little heart-to-heart has been, I remember from my old school just how embarrassing it is when I a new student is introduced mid class. If I leave now I have a small chance of sliding in unnoticed and taking my preferred seat in the back corner where I blend in and become invisible.

     The hallways seem much emptier now than when I first went to meet with Mrs. Hemmings. I start walking and just then I hear the bell ring letting me know that my plan to miss out on the dreaded "new student speech" isn't going to work. I pick up the pace, may as well get this over with. I look down at my schedule and see that I have AP English first period. Not that I would ever admit it to anyone, but English is probably my favorite class aside from my Music class. I reach room 220, take a deep breath, give myself a little mental pep talk and turn the handle. 

     Every eye in the classroom is glued on me as I walk in and hand the teacher my hall pass. He looks up from the slip, "Well you must be our new student here at Silver Valley. Why don't you introduce yourself to the class and tell us a little bit about yourself? What school did you come from and what brought you to Glendale?" How cliché of him... 

     Well here goes nothing, "Hey, my names Sadie Caldwell I just moved here from Hillmont and I went to Summit High School." I look out and see the way that some of the students are looking at me, most of the guys in the room look like they are undressing me with their eyes, the girls look annoyed to have a newcomer, and there is one guy sitting in the back with his head leaded against the wall and I can see a earbud hanging out of one ear. I decide to have a little fun with this, I lay on my best fake country accent.  "My parents decided to move here because they just hated their corporate lives and wanted to come try out good old simple country livin' and where better to do that little Silver Valley Senior High. Woo Go Tigers!!" And with that I give a little jump and head to a seat in the back of the room. I hear the guy with the earbud in choke back a laugh. Whatever he is listening too must not be too interesting if he heard all that.

     As I walk down the aisle of seats I hear "ugh what a freak". I look to my left and see a tan legged girl with long brown hair in a perfect ponytail wearing a perfectly pressed cheerleaders uniform sitting in the desk glaring at me. "Oh My Gosh Hun, its like so nice to like meet you! My days complete now that I've met the most popular girl in high school. Too bad you'll peek here and probably marry the quarterback and live a super average life after this." The room erupts into a mixture of gasps and laughter. Mr. Ferguson, the teacher, settles the class and instructs I better find a seat.

      I guess this whole blending into the background thing isn't going to be as easy as I thought. I can tell from the beginning that this girl is going to be a problem but if I learned anything from what happened at Summit High, it is that I will not let people push me around like that again.