15.Bonfire

The next day, we are sitting at our normal spot during lunch when all of the sudden I see a group of people walk by and hear them talking about a bonfire. I've been overhearing people talk about this bonfire all day. It seems like most of the school is buzzing about it. Finally, I decide to bring it up to Landon. "So, what's with this bonfire? It seems to be all everyone is talking about today." He has been working on some assignment that's due next period. I guess me calling him after work last night didn't leave much time for him to finish up his homework. He doesn't even look up when he answers, "Yeah, it's just this thing that some of the jocks put together the weekend before Homecoming every year. I didn't mention it because I didn't think it's something you'd want to go to."

     I think about what he says for a moment, he is right. The last party that I have even been to was the one with Ethan and everyone knows how well that whole thing turned out. But then I think about the fact that going to a party like this is just part of high school, almost a rite of passage. The more I think about it the more I realize that I am tired of letting Ethan win all the time and ruining things like this for me.

     This place is different than Hillmont, people here are different. Aside from Brooklyn, I haven't had problems with anyone here and not that I have made many friends other than Landon, but I have actually started getting closer with several of the people in my classes. "You know what, if you are okay with it, I think I would actually like to go." Clearly, he was not expecting me to say that because he drops his pen and looks up at me like I suddenly just sprouted another head. 

     "Ummm. Are you sure? I mean there are going to be a lot of people there and people are going to be drinking? I don't want it to be weird for you after what happened. Don't get me wrong, I'll go if you really want to, but I just don't want you to feel like we have to go." I really appreciate how considerate he is being of my feelings. It never ceases to amaze me how sweet he can be. I grab his hand and intertwine our fingers. "Things are different here. I'm finally feeling like my parents made the right choice by giving me this fresh start and I am done with letting Ethan ruin what's left of high school for me. I'm ready to start enjoying things like this." He smiles at me and I get the sense that he is proud of me for finally getting to this point. "Okay, what time should I pick you up?"

****

     We pull up to the bonfire a little over an hour late, so it looks like everything is already in full swing. The party is out at Aiden's house. Of course, a party like this would be hosted by the quarterback of the football team. We have actually talked several times at school over the past few weeks. Word around school is that him and Brooklyn broke up. He is actually a pretty decent guy without her dragging him down. Aiden lives in a pretty decent sized house and there are cars lining the long gravel driveway. Landon finds a spot to park and we get out of the car and make the walk up towards the house.

     By the look of the smoke, it seems like everyone must be out back, so we head that way. Landon reaches down and grabs my hand and softly looks up at me, "Remember what I said, if you decide you don't want to be here then just let me know and we will leave." I give his hand a light squeeze and pull him to a stop. I reach up and cup his face with my hand and firmly plant a kiss on his lips. He pulls back and gazes into my eyes like he is going to say something but then I can tell he decides not to. "Come on let's go" and he pulls me towards the back yard.

     Calling this a bonfire is a bit of an understatement when you see the size of the fire that is blazing away in the yard. It honestly looks like our whole school has shown up tonight and I can immediately tell that this party is nothing like what we use to have at Summit. Instead of everyone being dressed in barely-there dresses everyone looks relaxed and most people are in their Levi jeans and hoodies. Instead of shot glasses, the people here opt for red solo cups. Parties at Summit were notorious for getting pretty out of control. The parents of most of the people I went to school with there were more interested in keeping their kids occupied so they didn't have to be bothered with parenting. So, parties at my old school usually meant free flowing alcohol, drugs and teens getting themselves in questionable situations. That clearly isn't the case here.

     Although I don't see any adults outside, I can see a light on in the house, so I assume Aiden's parents must be somewhere nearby. We see several of our classmates walk past us with red cups in their hand that I suspect hold beer which means there must be a keg around here somewhere. I look up at Landon and I can tell he can sense that I am needing a drink. Before I even have a chance to ask, "Do you want me to go find us some drinks? You good here for a minute?"

     Landon walks away to go get our drinks and as I turn around I see Aiden heading towards me. "Sadie, Fancy seeing you here! I wouldn't have expected you to come to my party, it's not fancy like your old school." He is really slurring, and you can clearly tell that he has had way too much to drink. I can smell alcohol on his breath and I can tell from how close he is standing to me that he has been drinking something much stronger than beer. I scan the crowd and cast a nervous glance at Landon who is waiting to fill up our cups. He mouths at me, "You good?" I nod my head and turn back to Aiden. If this would have been a few weeks ago that answer may have been different but the more I've gotten to know Aiden the more harmless I find him. "Look at you and Landon. Aren't you guys just so cute together. I thought I was happy like that, but I guess it was all a bunch of crap" he says as he plops down on a nearby chair.

     Well, this is all making more sense. I guess all of the talk I've been hearing about him and Brooklyn must be true. I sit down next to him a little worried to leave him alone in his current condition. He goes on to tell me how Brooklyn broke up with him for some guy that she met from another school over the summer. She told him that he wasn't someone she could see herself being in a relationship with outside of high school so she though they should just end it now. I find myself feeling bad for him, he is clearly pretty torn up over this. He looks up and his face twists into a look of anger and disgust. He spits out, "She really has some nerve to show up here with him. Who does she think she is?" He starts to get up and I reach out to grab his arm and steady him. I follow his gaze towards the front of the house and see Brooklyn walking towards the party. When I see who is on her arm I feel all of the blood leave my face and I am sure that I am going to be sick.

Hey everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying the story so far. This is one of my longest chapters so far, but things are going to get pretty intense for a little bit. I actually feel bad for Aiden in this chapter. Who do you all think is going to be arriving with Brooklyn to the party? What kind of drama this is going to stir up and how will it all affect Sadie? Leave me a comment below about what you think is about to happen.

~ Sam