6. Day Two

I somehow manage to shower, get dressed and make it out the door without ever running into mom. I'm not sure if I am lucky or if she is avoiding me. Either way, I count my blessings because after yesterday I don't think I have the energy to hear her tear apart my appearance again today. I can only imagine what she would have to say about my jean short, converse and Nirvana tee combo. I hop in my car and start the drive to school. I spend most of the ride wondering if today's going to go the same as yesterday. Is this school the same as Summit where drama just seems to live on? 

     My main goal is to avoid Brooklyn today. I get the feeling that she is concerned about me trying to steal her beloved spotlight even though I have no intention on doing that. Today is my second chance at getting to just fade into the background and I plan to do just that.

     I pull up at school and head to Mr. Ferguson's classroom, maybe I can grab one of those back seats before Miss Perfect arrives and avoid her completely. I walk in and see that golden blonde hair seated in a desk in the far back corner. He looks up and smiles just as I slide into the seat next to him. "So, you decided to join the invisible in the back again today? Maybe you can try to avoid Brooklyn today, with you sitting next to me I'm afraid I could end up collateral damage" he says, laughing. "HAHA, aren't you just so funny in the morning!"

      The rest of the class is filing in at this point as the bell will be ringing any minute now. Mr. Ferguson is already handing out some type of worksheet for us. As the bell rings he begins class, every seat is full except one. Wonder where she's at? Time seems like it is going by very slowly. We are discussing The Iliad which I read sophomore year, so I am really not even paying attention. That is until the door opens and in walks Brooklyn. 

    With no explanation or anything she just strolls in and heads to her seat. I roll my eyes hard and she must notice because she is shooting me a look that could burn through me. I really don't understand how this girl gets away with so much. I zone out again and jump when I hear the bell signaling the end of class. I start to grab my stuff and get up when I hear Landon say, "Hey, we are still on for lunch today right?"

      I can't believe I had forgotten about that. Even though it was just yesterday it seems like much longer since we ate lunch and bonded over our taste in music. "Yeah of course! I'll meet you out at the table by the trees. Be prepared to have your mind blown by my masterfully crafted playlists" I say with a smirk. He looks and me and smiles, gives a little wave and then heads off down the hallway.

     The rest of the morning seems to drag by. Part of that could be that I already know most of the material that is being covered. But it could also have something to do with the fact that for some strange reason I can't get blonde hair and a set of blue grey eyes out of my head. I bell finally rings after 4th period and it is time for lunch.

     I go grab my normal diet coke and head out to the bench by the trees where I am meeting Landon. Why do I feel so nervous all the sudden? When I get out there and see him looking at me, almost instantly, I can feel my nerves melt away. We fall into what is becoming typical banter for us. We talk about bands, concerts we have been to, our favorite lyrics. I love how easy it is for me to talk to Landon. He is the first person I have met here that gets me. He's the only person that I don't intentionally try to push away. "Here I want to show you something." 

     I go to the music app in my iPhone stopping at the screen with my playlists. I hand him the phone and he starts clicking through them. "Wow, Sadie this is impressive. You literally have a playlist for everything. He scrolls though, for a bad day, driving with the windows down, going for a run, to clear your head, Songs to rock out to, Songs to cry to. He clicks on one of the most personal, when you find out love is a lie. "This one seems a little dark. It's funny how much you can tell about a person by their playlists."

      I feel a little embarrassed and almost get the urge to stop him from looking at that particular playlist but for some reason I don't mind as much as I thought I would. He goes to click on So Far Away by Crossfade and the music that has gotten me through the majority of what happened at Hillmont. He pretends not to notice as I shake away the painful memories that this song brings up.

     We are so caught up in the music that we must have missed the bell ring because the area where we are sitting has mostly cleared out. "Oh crap! I didn't even hear the bell." I gather my stuff up and we both start walking back towards the building. Just as we are about to pass ways Landon looks over at me, "Thanks for sharing that with me." I can feel myself blush a little. "I'll see you at the shop at 5:00." We both wave and as I turn around again I feel that same goofy grin spread across my face. I don't really know what is happening here, but I suddenly hope that 5:00 gets here quickly.